Chief Development Officer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2017
END DATE 12/19/2017
The Humane Society
September 6, 2017
CHIEF DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation's largest animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Chief Development. The Chief Development Officer (CDO) reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer. S/he will be responsible for overseeing all philanthropy, major gifts, planned giving, fundraising events, business development, direct marketing, and membership business units as well as aligning communications channels with fundraising goals. The CDO is a member of HSUS senior management team and as such is part of a collaborative group of leaders responsible for helping the organization achieve its vision. The CDO will work with the CEO and other members of the team to implement the organization s strategic initiatives.
The CDO will also serve as the main fundraising liaison for the Board of Directors, National Council, and other volunteer leadership councils. The ideal candidate will be someone who has a proven track record of significantly growing philanthropic revenue and expanding the prospective major donor pool for a national non-profit, preferably an advocacy organization. The CDO must be first and foremost, an exceptional leader. The CDO will manage a team of SVP and VP direct reports and a staff of more than 100 throughout the US and the world.
The CDO will lead the continued integration of fundraising functions (e.g., major gifts, direct mail, corporate support, planned giving) throughout the organization to further efficiencies and ensure a strategic, comprehensive, collaborative approach to all functions. The CDO will empower and lead a team of fundraisers and support them and other staff and leaders in the organization in managing and cultivating donors. In addition, s/he will build and manage a limited portfolio of key prospects, leading by example with strategies to engage with and achieve the highest levels of support, e.g., major and principal gifts, from those who come to understand the importance of HSUS work. Furthermore, he or she will proactively guide efforts to identify new prospects to grow and further diversity the organization s major donor base. The CDO must be a highly strategic, collaborative, and results-driven individual with excellent communication, writing, and listening skills and unquestioned integrity. S/he will be responsible for the collaboration and integration of functions among the philanthropy, direct marketing, and corporate support and marketing and communications.The CDO will further build collaborative partnerships with all senior organizational leaders, volunteers, and other HSUS stakeholders purposefully leveraging program and campaign staff in fundraising asks and cultivation and stewardship of donors, and engaging and involving the organization s constituents in strategic fundraising activities, as appropriate.
THIS POSITION WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
* Establishing trust and strong working relationships with and strategically engage the President & CEO, Board members, leaders and colleagues throughout the organization, program and campaign staff, and other constituents in fundraising activities (as appropriate) providing meaningful and valuable engagement opportunities and effective support, and, in doing so, furthering the culture of philanthropy across the HSUS.
* Creating and implementing a strategic and operational plan for increasing HSUS philanthropic revenue and expanding its donor base.
* Following-through with the strategic integration of functions (e.g., major gifts, direct mail, corporate support, planned giving) among business units to further efficiencies and ensuring a comprehensive, collaborative approach to all functions, with the goal of increasing philanthropic opportunities and revenue.
* Serving as chief fundraising strategist: Developing plans, goals, and asks for key donors and prospects; setting goals and metrics for major gifts officers and other staff and ensuring accountability; developing strategies for recruiting new high net worth individuals as prospects.
* Maintaining a limited personal portfolio of key donors and prospects, focusing on the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of principal-level gifts.
* Providing professionally mature, effective, and transparent management: implementing policies and best practices that will ensure greater staff collaboration and accountability through quantitative measurement of results modeling behavior and creating a culture comfortable with clearly defined goals and reliable methods with which to measure success.
* Guided by HSUS culture, priorities, and vision for the future, providing inspirational and effective fundraising leadership through teamwork, collaboration, and dedication.
* Providing leadership and support to the National Council, Board Development Committee, and other volunteer leadership committees throughout the organization.
* Assuring proper planning including goal setting, strategy identification, benchmarking, market testing, and evaluation to support fund development, reducing risk, and increasing chances of success.
* Working with the CFO and the Director of Development Operations to ensure sound fiscal operation of development function including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of charitable contributions income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation.
* In concert with the SVP, Marketing and Communications and working collaboratively with other departments, ensuring that fundraising materials and strategies are consistent with organizational branding and communications objectives.
* Ensuring compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintaining accountability standards to donors and ensuring compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executiveirs
* Bachelor s Degree required, advanced degree is preferred.
* Minimum 15 years of progressively responsible experience with accountability for strategic development planning and implementing creative resource development strategies.
* Deep seated passion for the HSUS mission, goals and work of the HSUS-- experience raising funds for advocacy programs preferred, ideally during a time of rapid organizational growth or change.
* Experience managing a regional/national team of more than 25 development/direct response professionals, including a minimum of 5 direct reports, in a complex organization.
* A strategic thinker who will partner with the CEO, senior management team, board, program and campaign staff and volunteers to fulfill HSUS vision and in executing its mission and achieving its goals.
* Must be very comfortable with agility and adaptability. At any given time HSUS may have 200 campaigns going, priorities can change at a moment s notice. This individual must be comfortable in an environment and culture that pivots quickly due to circumstances that arise.
* Capital campaign experience is highly desirable.
* Exceptional organizational skills with a deft ability to set and flex priorities rapidly.
* Stature, collaborative skill, and fundraising expertise to effectively engage and support the President & CEO, senior colleagues, Board members, colleagues, staff, donors, prospects, and diverse constituencies.
* Track record of providing strategic direction and operational management of creative fundraising initiatives, resulting in significant philanthropic revenue growth and an expanded constituency base.
* Highly advanced facilitation skills to promote collaboration and coordination across the organization, resulting in comprehensive, consistent, and integrated fundraising plans and activities.
* Experience with all aspects of a comprehensive fundraising operation, with particular strength