Computer Co-Op (Electrical/ Computer Engineers)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2017
END DATE 1/7/2018
Ameren Services Company
Saint Louis, MO
JOB DESCRIPTIONTargeted session: 2 openings January 2018 - August 2018
Network Engineering and Operations department designs, implements, and operates Ameren s network infrastructure. We are implementing a new, robust private 100 Gigabit/Second core MPLS network and 10 Gigabit/Second backbone network to all of transmission substations and many of our locations. We will be installing this network on over 4000 miles of OPGW(Optical Ground Wire) on our transmission system. In addition, we are beginning the justification and engineering design of a private LTE(private cellular) backhaul system to be used for future smart grid applications.
NEO is responsible for the design, delivery, and operational readiness of Ameren s network infrastructure as well as the new Intelligrid network. We are also responsible for the justification and implementation of strategic network initiatives across Ameren.
Student will work in an engineering environment learning from peer engineers as they design and implement network solutions within substation, transmission line, and office environments. Students will be assigned project tasks and will assist the project engineer with the project. Student will work alongside the engineers and field operations personnel to broaden their knowledge of IT systems and assist with completion of projects. The student will have the opportunity to visit Field Sites with engineers and technicians as well as working alone to get a perspective of real life in the field. Student will work within a cross functional team with IT Network Engineers, Transmission Line Engineers, Substation Engineers, and Field Construction Supervisors.
For the student engineer they will get first-hand knowledge of why ensuring the performance of Ameren s communication networks 7x24x365 is critical to ensuring the delivery of electricity and natural gas to our 2M+ customers.
Student will work on project/project tasks such as those below:
* Assist in developing test plans for substation LANs, 100 Gb/Sec Core Ring, 10 Gb/Sec backbone ring and services going across that infrastructure
* Work closely with Field Construction Supervisors on the installation of the substation LAN equipment, Optical Ground Wire(fiber optic), and AC and DC power services
* Implementation and integration of Fiber Management tool with ESRI Mapping system
* Develop training guides for the new fiber management tool
* Integration of MPLS Network alarms and traps into a single point of view system to capture and display all alerts/alarms in one user view
* Assist in high level design of fiber optic and microwave communication paths
* Run wireless coverage plots to help design the private LTE(cellular) system
* Assist in developing runbook, process, and procedures for operating the new Intelligrid system
* Assist in identifying, evaluating, and purchasing of technician test tools and Network Operations Center(NOC) test tools
* Assist Field Engineers with testing and proving of new network devices
* Assist with documentation of existing services
* Participate in audits of network facilities
Must be in student status and pursuing a bachelors or masters in an IT field, electrical or computer engineering from an ABET accredited college or university. A 2.5 GPA or higher is required, and must have at least 60 college credits completed by the start of the co-op.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.