Data Scientist III 9/19/2017
Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description
As a data scientist, you would work closely with domain experts in health care in defining well thought and thorough solutions. You have a Ph.D./Master s Degree in operations research, applied statistics, data mining, machine learning, physics or a related quantitative discipline. You have a deep understanding of statistical and predictive modeling concepts, machine-learning approaches, clustering and classification techniques, and recommendation and optimization algorithms. You would be involved in all phases of development like project scoping, team building, working with business leads and project managers, organizing sprints, managing deadlines, understanding and articulating priorities, architecting solutions, coding and delivering high quality results.
This position reports to the Engineering Manager and has high level of visibility to functional managers worldwide.
* Work in capacity of a data scientist as part of Data Insights team to design Business Intelligence product.
* Be in a customer facing role and help Varian customers get insights into their data.
* Gather a good understanding of requirement and help other team members to translate it into technology solution.
* Actively contribute to writing ETLs using standard toolkits
* Will need to spend majority of time understanding and curating data
* Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
* Data mining using state-of-the-art methods
* Create dashboards and customizing dashboards to provide better insights
* Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
* Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
* Deliver development supporting artifacts like Use Case diagrams, Class diagrams and Sequence diagrams based on requirement analysis and design
* Provide consulting to development teams when required
* Document the technical implementations and evangelize with development teams
* Participate in cross-functional technical discussions local and remote groups
* Follow process and produce quality deliverables supporting the process
* Participate in software design and review activities
* Develop / innovate solutions to complex problems
* Participate in sprints and component backlogs refinement
* Participate in troubleshooting complex issues in production and resolving defects.
* Production of high quality code.
* Formulates and recommends standards for achieving maximum performance and efficiency of the DW Ecosystem.
* Develop and demonstrate high quality prototypes / modules and finished applications that meet the desired goals, quality and are well documented
* Stay in touch with latest and upcoming BI open source technologies
* Mentoring team members to get up to the speed on technology
Qualifications Required: Ph.D./Master s Degree in operations research, applied statistics, data mining, machine learning, physics or a related quantitative discipline
Experience (Years): 8-12 years
* DB and computing technology: SQL databases, Hadoop, Spark
* Programming Language: Java
* ETL Technology: SSIS, Talend, TSql
* BI Technology: SSAS, Tableau, PowerBI
* Machine learning tools: R, Azure ml, MLib, for time series analysis, clustering, classification, validation
* Candidates applying for this position need to have a strong software development background with a very good systems perspective.
* Prior experience in interactions with Hadoop / Spark / MapReduce / Cascading / HDFS
* Experience with large database interactions (Postgres is desired)
* Experience with highly scalable systems
* Experience working in healthcare domain, exposure to operational and clinical data
* Ability to learn and apply new technologies quickly
* Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
* Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Azure ml, NumPy, etc . Excellence in at least R and azure ml is highly desirable
* Great communication skills
* Experience with data visualization tools, such as Tableau, D3.js, PowerBI etc.
* Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive, Pig
* Experience with NoSQL databases, such as CouchDB, MongoDB.
* Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
* Good scripting and programming skills
* Ability to multi-task in a dynamic environment
* Experience with Python/Scala is a plus
* Ability to consider ethical, legal and societal aspects of handling personal health care data and confidential customer data
* Knowledge of semantics and semantic interoperability e.g. knowledge models, ontologies, terminologies, information models
* Leadership qualities to take initiatives
* Should be able to handle wide array of technical platform
* Have complete understanding of programming patterns and can implement them
* 8+ years of software engineering work experience
* At least 8 years of experience with data science
* At least 6 years working with R or any machine learning tools
* At least 8 years experience working on reporting and visualization tools.
* At least 3 years work experience with open source technology
When you join Varian, you re joining an organization with nearly $3 billion in annual revenue, and more than 6,500 team members across more than 30 countries. You ll be backed by a culture that is centered on fostering your creative potential, and experience the full support of an organization and leadership committed to inspiring you to do your best work. Bring your talent to a place where your work will help fight cancer. Join Varian s Oncology Systems team, and the work you do can make a difference by helping to create a world without fear of cancer. We develop and manufacture products and solutions that innovate, support and streamline cancer-fighting solutions worldwide. Our teams have a common drive to help others, and a passion for excellence. Join Varian and add your talent to the fight against cancer.
Become part of our team
At Varian, our culture is centered on fostering the creative potential of every employee through teamwork and collaboration. Our technologies touch millions of lives every day, and this inspires us to do our best work every day. By using your talent, ambition and creativity, you can build a career that allows you to make a real difference in people s lives. You re just one click away from the most impactful work you ll ever do. Apply now and join our mission to help save lives. Someone, somewhere, will be glad you did.