Director of Product Design, North America 9/20/2017
Herman Miller, Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as the Director of Product Design, North America at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As the Director of Product Design, you'll lead product design for the North America Contract business. You will also lead the design process and guide design outcomes for new products and improvements to existing products in partnership with multi-functional Product Commercialization Teams.
What You\'ll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
* Act as Lead Product Designer at times, developing product concepts and designs under the authorship of the Herman Miller Brand and not as the identified individual design author.
* Author, contribute to, and/or review design briefs for product design initiatives. You will assign or present briefs to design partners or the internal team.
* Collaborate with authored product designers (external) to ensure cohesion of the original design intent.
* Determine the best method of design (internal/external/group/blended) for any given project. You'll also pursue new working models to broaden the diversity of design input.
* Develop and lead an internal design capability for new products, product improvements, and customizations.
* Partner with Design Leads in the Advanced Innovation Kitchen to facilitate the hand-off of concepts from early stage into commercialization phase, ensuring design integrity throughout the process.
* Partner with Legal Counsel to develop and implement relevant business agreements, including Confidentiality, Letters of Intent, Intellectual Property, and Compensation Agreements.
* Provide design direction to product designers and design partners, including feedback in the areas of visual, performance, materials, value, brand, portfolio, and strategic alignment.
* Recommend design partnerships for assignment to new initiatives.
* Serve as the Work Team Leader of the Product Design Team.
* Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we re looking for if you have...
* A Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design or a related field.
* Ten plus years of experience in professional design, including product and/or furniture design.
* Ten plus years of experience in project leadership, including global project leadership experience.
* Five plus years of experience in professional design management.
* A strong knowledge of the furnishings industry.
* A deep understanding of design and the correlation it has with user behaviors and productivity.
* A demonstrated ability for in-depth problem identification and translation into design criteria.
* A demonstrated ability to represent the design point of view in cross-functional settings.
* A well-rounded knowledge of design history, current design trends, and the competitive landscape.
* Experience in people and team management with the ability to drive results.
* The ability to build long-term relationships with designers, clients, and business partners from individual contributors to senior decision makers at all levels.
* An in-depth and current understanding of the contract furnishings industry, including the market, channel, A D, and competition.
* An in-depth understanding of the product development process, from small to large scale.
* Knowledge of existing and emergent materials, processes, and related technologies.
* The ability to partner with and coach design talent, from external partners with strong personalities to Junior Designers.
* The ability to synthesize parallel business strategies and objectives into articulate design briefings and design direction.
* Management competencies that include strong systemic thinking as well as coaching, planning, and organization skills.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including professional presentation skills.
* The ability to perform all essential job functions with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.