EHS Field Program Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/12/2017
END DATE 12/20/2017
Liberty Utilities (Canada) Corp
EHS Field Program Manager
Environmental, Health & Safety
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty &Empire) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Algonquin) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 2,500 MW of installed capacity.
MANDATE: The Program Manager, EHS will provide tactical direction and leadership to the Regional location assigned with respect to environmental or safety programs. The Program Manager, EHS is responsible for implementation of environmental, health or safety policies and procedures. The Program Manager, EHS is ultimately responsible for ensuring an effective EHS compliance program. This position is responsible for driving EHS standards, policy and procedures; environmental, health and safety compliance and continuous improvement. The incumbent will be responsible for continuous development of the health and safety culture and positively impacting employee engagement. This will be done by implementing policy, procedures, standards, training, tools and techniques. This position will be responsible for leading improvements in our safety risk mitigation process through collaboration with local leadership.
* Have a level of knowledge to perform hazard identification, risk assessments and JHA s for Operations in the region with the goal of zero incidents (near miss, injuries and illnesses).
* Have a level of knowledge and experience in Safety Observations, Site Inspections, Regulatory and Other Audits (OSHA/OHSA) and EHS System Framework Audits in relation to Utilities and Power Generation (Electrical, Mechanical, Physical, Gravity, Chemical, etc.)
* Accountable for documenting, tracking and following-up on findings/action items and information to local leadership (i.e. written and verbal communication, Gensuite, etc.)
* Ability to effectively promulgate a proactive safety culture and gain buy-in for corporate initiatives (Drive to Zero, Take Two); training (Onboarding, Smith Driving); and programs (Gensuite, SafeStart) across all facilities in the region.
* Have a level of verbal and written communication skills, conflict resolution abilities and group facilitation skills. Must collaborate with local leadership for understanding, implementation and compliance with regulatory requirements, corporate initiatives, critical tasks, and potential areas of opportunity.
* Proactively engage with all employees across APUC's business lines to grow their personal ownership of environmental stewardship both inside and outside the workplace.
* Assist in creating a long term vision to develop a culture reflective of a commitment toward environmental stewardship.
* Work collaboratively with local leaders and environmental, health and safety staff with regards to the development and implementation of company-wide EHS policies and procedures.
* Have advanced knowledge of current and emerging technical and professional aspects of this position. Ensure staff are aware of current environmental, health and safety rules and regulations for compliance.
* Participate in operating and capital budget preparations, as appropriate, to ensure EHS programs and concerns are adequately funded.
* Have a level of verbal and written and communication skills to educate, train and coach all employees per the EHS Training matrix.
* Have the ability to lead effective learning; application of adult learning principles; various material formats (e-learning, brick and mortar, on-the-job) and hands-on participant evaluations.
* Ensure that all employees receive adequate training and safety equipment to safely perform all activities associated with their role. Select, inspect and train proper use/care/maintenance of safety equipment (PPE, Guarding, meets industry and regulatory requirements). Maintain SME and/or train the trainer qualifications for EHS topics as required.
* Have a level of knowledge of root cause analysis and investigation of all incidents at facilities in the region. Collaborate with local leadership to conduct thorough and timely investigations.
* Have a level of knowledge to Perform audits in OSHA and CSA regulations also in Electrical, Gas, Water, Instrumentation and Control, Operation, Mechanical and/or Hydraulics, in APCOs and OEMs turbine models/tools/equipment/assets as required.
* Has the ability to track, trend and develop action plans for leading and lagging environment, health and safety indicators.
* Adequate computer skills for incident reporting and exchange of information for lessons learned, etc. (Microsoft Suite - Word/Excel/PowerPoint, cloud-based Gensuite Software)
* University degree in a technical field or equivalent education/industry experience
* Minimum of 3 5 years management experience in the Environmental Health and Safety field in North America
* Relevant experience in environmental compliance
* Understanding of environmental laws and regulations as applicable to the utility and energy industries in North America
* Experience in remote management and supervision - demonstrated leadership qualities
* Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
* Superior team building and coaching abilities, both as a leader and a team member
* Prefer CRSP, CSP, CUSP
Click to Like & Follow us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.