Electrician, 1st Class 9/17/2017
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT
Under minimum supervision of Electric Sop foreman/assistant foreman, repairs, maintains and installs all components of electrical and electronic systems and equipment, including motors and related controls throughout the hospital and satellites. Responsible for snow removal as needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Responds to electrical trouble calls throughout the hospital: inspects and repairs a wide variety of electrical systems including: lighting, power distribution and specialized commercial & laboratory equipment. Will diagnose, repair or replace motors and associated electrical controls. Will also assist General mechanics when needed. Fabricates, installs and modifies electrical systems, especially during renovation construction.
2) Will be required to be part of G3 (15KV) maintenance crew, maintaining and doing all switching of G3 system.
3) Will be required to install, maintain and repair fire alarms and nurse call systems
4) Install and maintain routine and complex electronic equipment and systems such as nurses call systems, fire alarm systems, monitors and voice communication systems.
5) Conducts test of various safety equipment, perform various forms of preventive maintenance.
6) Respond to trouble calls on vacuum, medical & instrumental air & water pumps, diagnose cause of malfunctions, repair and make adjustments with as little service interruption as possible.
7) Repairs large and small machinery, such as pumps and compressors, replacing seals, bearings, shafts and packing.
8) Will coordinate and monitor work with other shops and trades to accomplish the completion of any job.
9) Will be required to understand and diagnose automatic transfer switches, frequency drives, pneumatic tube system, critical alarm and power factor correction equipment.
10) Will perform preventive maintenance on all types and styles of equipment.
11) Must be willing and able to fill in at any of the multiple job categories in the Electric Shop.
12) Must be available for emergency call in for emergency repairs and/or snow removal.
13) Responsible for snow removal as needed.
14) Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
My be required to train and supervise others.
Charge out labor and material daily via Ipad for revenue recovery purposes.
1) Compliance with the Hospital and department rules on uniforms in addition to the Buildings & Grounds policy and procedure manual.
2) The use of safety equipment such as: respirators, safety glasses, safety shoes, etc. on specific job assignments.
3) a) Pass respirator clearance exam, b) along with compliance with Hospitals universal precaution rules.
4) Understand and practice patient confidentiality (HIPPA)
5) Understand and practice infection control through proper dust containment. Understand the use of the environmental containment booths.
6) Electric shock hazards and broken glass.
7) Some overtime is required.
8) Is subject to call any time for emergencies due to increment weather, special project or plant failure.
9) Is subject to work in mechanical rooms with running equipment, steam pipes, and outside areas subject to weather conditions, etc.
10) Works in patient areas and laboratories.
11) Work requires regular walking, standing and climbing of ladders.
1) Completion of a high school or equivalent G.E.D.
2) Massachusetts Electrical Journeymans license.
3) At least four years working as a journeyman electrician
4) Must be respirator qualified. Occasionally (less than 15% of the time) must exert effort to lift over 70 pounds.
5) Understanding of electrical codes and regulations.
6) Troubleshooting of electrical controls a must, must be able to read electric schematic drawings and blueprints. Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.