EMR HEALTH INFORMATION TECH 10/11/2017
Cooper University Health Care
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job ID
Medical Records-Oncology Data
Responsible for processing all release of information requests and subpoenas in a timely and efficient manner ensuring accuracy of all requests. Safeguard and protect the patient s right to privacy by ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the patient s medical information and that all releases of information are in compliance with the request, authorization, Cooper University Health Care s policy and HIPAA regulations.
* Completes release of information request including retrieving patient s paper and electronic medical record.
* Validates requests and authorizations of release of medical information according to established Cooper University Health Care policy.
* Perform quality checks on all work to ensure accuracy of the release, confidentiality, and proper invoicing.
* Receive incoming requests including opening mail, assisting walk-ins and telephone inquiries, and retrieving facsimile inquiries, depending on the needs of the patient.
* Maintains working knowledge of the existing state laws and fee structure.
* Work with privileged information in a conscientious manner while releasing medical records in an efficient, effective, and accurate manner.
* Travel to medical practice locations on foot.
* Perform pick-ups and deliveries in a timely fashion in accordance with Cooper University Health Care policy.
* Confirm patient name and account number are on every page in the record front and back.
* Prep all pages for the scan process (i.e., removing staples and making sure that the quality of the document is readable).
* Examines pages and verifies patient identification on each page.
* Appropriately batches and scans documents into EPIC.
* Manually indexes documents to the correct level as established by Cooper University Health Care policy.
* Minimizes duplicate entries. Inspects the quality and accuracy of each document scanned.
* Monitor the manual indexing queue of unassigned images.
* Confirm that all records ready for indexing have been received.
* Determine the correct patient name, account number, document type or section (if appropriate)
* Index the image (encounter, section or document) appropriately by required patient date elements according to Cooper University Health Care specific guidelines.
* Review each image and verify the following:
* Correct patient name and account number.
* Proper indexing into the patient chart grouping.
* Image quality (readable, orientation, multiple sides, etc.)
* Identify errors requiring correction in accordance with Cooper University Health Care policies and procedures
* All duties as assigned.
High School graduate or equivalent with GED.
Experience in health information management department preferred. Experience processing release of information requests and subpoena requests required. Good oral and written communication skills. Experience with EPIC preferred
Required License/Certifications/ Registration:
Knowledge of medical record format and content for all patient records.
Competent knowledge of understanding of anatomy.
Competent knowledge of medical terminology.
Ability to review record and verify patient identification.
Strong computer skills.
Good verbal, written and computer communication skills.
Ability to perform job function and make decisions with limited supervision.
Ability to interact with patients and representatives from departmental practices.
Cooper University Health Care is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, Veteran status, national origin, or any other category protected by federal or state law