Engineer (P Level), Process Research - Steelmaking & Refractories
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/19/2017
END DATE 2/27/2018
East Chicago, IN
ArcelorMittal is seeking a highly skilled and motivated steelmaking specialist with proven record of accomplishments in Steel Manufacturing process modeling and innovative research to join our Process Research team. The prospective candidate will apply first principles and problem solving techniques to evaluate and develop solutions to maximize steelmaking operating efficiencies. The position requires ability to independently and collectively with project teams design and conduct research experiments involving laboratory or industrial trials related to steelmaking; work with personnel in worldwide locations of ArcelorMittal facilities to develop new and continuously improve technology and practices of steelmaking and ladle metallurgy; generate and present intermediate and final technical reports relating to research and projects; perform other duties as required. The job will be based in the East Chicago center of ArcelorMittal Global R&D supporting plants primarily our USA operations.
* The prospective candidate will apply first principles and problem solving techniques to evaluate and develop solutions to maximize steel manufacturing efficiencies.
* Be responsible to develop, qualify and use Intelligent Process Control, Diagnostic, Techno-economic, Resource and Quality Management models to aid in Steelmaking and Casting processes. The duties include frequent use of in-house and commercial thermodynamic software such as ThermoCalc.
* Work with plant personnel primarily in USA to develop new and continuously improve technology and practices of steelmaking, casting and ladle metallurgy, particularly involving process optimization, quality improvement and cost reduction;
* Generate and present intermediate and final technical reports relating to research and projects;
* Some projects would have a global perspective where interaction with other ArcelorMittal R&D laboratories or plant personnel is expected. Prospective candidate is expected to coordinate planning, budgeting, schedules of all activities and manpower resources required for project execution. A high level of technical competence, team work, project management skills and excellent interpersonal skills is required for this position.
* Perform other duties as required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: MS Metallurgy or Materials Engineering
PREFERRED EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: PhD Metallurgy, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or related areas
* Strong knowledge of thermodynamics and kinetics of liquid steel processing is mandatory
* Good knowledge of Steelmaking processes including BOF, LMF, Vacuum Degassing and Continuous Casting
* Strong mathematical modeling skills
* Strong computer programming skills with a good knowledge of FORTRAN, Visual Basic, C, C++, MatLab, Excel;
* Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
* Ability to work safely in a lab research and manufacturing environment.
* An inherent passion for innovation and discovery.
* 5 years industrial experience subsequent to MS in Engineering
* Prior Process Modeling experience
* Prior Database and Data Analytics experience
* Mastery of English language skills
ArcelorMittal is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Including Disability/Vets.