Entry-level GIS / Database Specialist 9/20/2017
Rancho Cordova, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Looking for a place to grow your career? A place where you can work with industry recognized professionals who are solving tough environmental problems? Geosyntec is the place for you! As an entry-level GIS / database specialist in our Sacramento, California office, you will work with a multi-disciplinary team providing GIS visualization, database, and data management services supporting our environmental remediation and geoscience practice. The candidate may also have other duties supporting remediation and engineering projects such as field sampling, technical report preparation and project management.
Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Is this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for the entry-level GIS / database specialist position may include:
* Producing routine data visualization outputs using ArcGIS, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and/or database scripts (Python, VBA, etc.);
* Designing, developing, and managing databases;
* Designing and developing data visualization outputs using ArcGIS and/or EVS;
* Developing comprehensive workflows to automate compilation of data from multiple sources and serve data to maps, reports and other tools; and
* Interacting with clients to support engineering and environmental projects.
You should expect to work closely with experienced senior scientists, engineers and project managers who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec's culture. You will also be required to perform tasks in other company practice areas, as needed. Here are some other things you should know about a typical GIS / database specialist position with Geosyntec:
* Training: This position may require OSHA health and safety, first aid, and CPR training and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional and technical development opportunities including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our staff to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
* Fieldwork and overnight travel are occasionally required.
Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual's own performance and initiative.
* Bachelor's degree in science, engineering, technology or related field (required); focus on environmental sciences. (preferred)
* Technical training and strong experience in GIS and database technology at either the undergraduate or post-graduate level. (required)
* Experience with database management and GIS for environmental engineering applications (e.g., Microsoft Access, SQL Server, ArcGIS, EVS). (preferred)
* Experience with database and GIS scripting (Python, VBA, etc.). (preferred)
* Knowledge of laboratory analytical data verification and validation processes. (preferred)
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE SUCCESSFUL AT GEOSYNTEC?
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
WHY CHOOSE GEOSYNTEC?
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits.
REQ NO: ENTRY01333
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information..