Financial Reporting Manager 3/21/2017
Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
Palo Alto, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Position Title
Financial Reporting Manager
Auto req ID
Business Unit Name
Oncology Systems (ONCG)
When you join Varian, you re joining an organization with nearly $3 billion in annual revenue, and more than 6,500 team members across more than 30 countries. You ll be backed by a culture that is centered on fostering your creative potential, and experience the full support of an organization and leadership committed to inspiring you to do your best work. Bring your talent to a place where your work will help fight cancer. Join Varian s Oncology Systems team, and the work you do can make a difference by helping to create a world without fear of cancer. We develop and manufacture products and solutions that innovate, support and streamline cancer-fighting solutions worldwide. Our teams have a common drive to help others, and a passion for excellence. Join Varian and add your talent to the fight against cancer.
The VMS Financial Reporting and Business Operations Analyst role reporting to the SVP of FP&A will be responsible for coordinating the series of annual strategic planning and financial reporting meetings to ensure that the meeting objectives are realistic, preparation is appropriate, and synchronized to the corporate calendar. In addition this position is responsible for preparing finance specific material for presentation to the Board of Directors or Audit Committee as appropriate. This is a highly strategic and facilitative role that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active role in Varian s Finance organization including specific direct interaction with the C-suite of the organization, including the CEO. Working with the management team, the position also contributes to the development and implementation of company-wide strategies, policies and practices.
Key Meeting Preparation/Facilitation
* Work closely with C-Suite s Executive Assistants to schedule upcoming VMS Strategic Planning, Earnings Call Preparation, Investor Relations, SEC Reporting, Succession Planning, Corporate Budget and Forecast meetings.
* Confirm objectives for the meeting and recommend participants and agenda.
* Help ensure participants are aware of and prepared for the meeting.
* Attend meetings, capture major take-a ways, and work with executive team to ensure follow up
* Monitor progress/achievement of next steps.
* Work with SVP of FP&A and the CFO to determine the appropriate reporting package to be prepared for each fiscal period to assist in communicating financial results to the Board of Directors and Investors and Employees.
* Prepare quarterly/annual financial materials and distribute as necessary.
* Partner with Finance Systems Team, IT, and FP&A to automate as many reports as possible and develop real time dashboards for Executive monitoring of company performance.
* Participate in planning for quarterly Board of Director meetings, gather required materials, review and consolidate as necessary, and submit to Legal for posting.
* Develop and maintain an inventory of critical path projects in which the SVP of FP&A is especially interested and/or for which their awareness and involvement is essential.
* Work with Executive staff to align their actions and communications in support of agreed upon goals.
* Be prepared to apprise the CEO of project status and variations from schedule or scope.
Leadership of Special Projects
* Scope, plan and execute multiple, often quick-turnaround projects with minimal outside assistance.
* Present ideas for special projects that might facilitate the CEO s/leadership s objectives.
* Work with appropriate stakeholders, including outside parties, to undertake analysis.
* Present findings to CEO, Executive staff, as appropriate.
* If necessary, oversee transfer of the project to other stakeholders within the organization.
* At least 10 years of experience in Financial Management or Operations Management
* Strong background and work experience in Finance; Consulting background preferred
* Mastery and comfort in PowerPoint is critical for success
* Excellent computer skills and proficient in MS Excel, Word, and Outlook
* Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
* Knowledge of organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices
* Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
* A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
* Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization
* Ability to look at situations from several points of view
* Persuasive with details and facts
Become part of our team
At Varian, our culture is centered on fostering the creative potential of every employee through teamwork and collaboration. Our technologies touch millions of lives every day, and this inspires us to do our best work every day. By using your talent, ambition and creativity, you can build a career that allows you to make a real difference in people s lives. You re just one click away from the most impactful work you ll ever do. Apply now and join our mission to help save lives. Someone, somewhere, will be glad you did.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Percentage of Travel Required