Foreman - General Construction Shop
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2017
END DATE 11/18/2017
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT
The General Construction Foreman reports to the Operations Manager. Responsibilities encompass coordination of routine operations of the General Construction Shop, staffing, training and direct supervision of subordinate mechanics. Assigning and coordinating work to meet Hospital needs as well as department goals and objectives. Making recommendations in regard to feasibility and cost, and procuring materials for major work assignments and projects. Establishing and maintaining a working inventory of supplies and equipment for the shop. Overseeing all work done in order to control cost effectiveness and to ensure compliance with State and local code. Ensuring that work spaces are consistently maintained in a clean, functional and safe condition. Ensuring that safety precautions and work rules are adhered to in the shop. Record keeping and submission of reports are also expected as required by the Department Head.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Staff the General Construction shop with the appropriate mix of personnel to support and accomplish service requirements.
2. Structure General Construction shop operations, maintain sufficient workflow through evaluation of the shop.
3. Standardize shop procedures and/or initiate procedural changes as needed to improve efficiency and plan work layout.
4. Requisition equipment and supplies and initiate cost reduction programs as appropriate.
5. Provide direct supervision to the support service mechanics as necessary to assure accomplishment of routine shop functions and schedule work hours/arrange for adequate coverage.
6. Effectively recommend on hiring and discharge of shop personnel, orient and provide on-the-job training as necessary for new personnel.
7. Assign, review and check work codes, providing particularly close supervision on major projects or special assignments and evaluate overall employee problems, discipline cases and grievances in accordance with hospital policy and procedures.
8. Maintain inventory controls for supplies and equipment to ensure proper inventory levels and maximize cost effectiveness, Procure supplies and equipment in accordance with established procedure.
9. Maintain close liaison with other Buildings & Grounds shops and hospital departments to provide coordination of activities and minimize disruption of hospital operations.
10. Evaluate new equipment, techniques and procedures and make recommendations to Operation manager regarding same. Must be knowledgeable of State and local codes, be cognizant of changes and advise operation manager regarding same.
11. Maintain equipment and work areas in clean, safe and functional condition at all times. Ensure that all work safety rules and regulations are strictly adhered to at all times.
12. Prioritize shop work in accordance with hospital requirements as well as department goals and objectives.
13. Assist operation manager in preparation of annual budgets for the shop.
14. Is subject to call at any time for emergency repairs to hospital facilities. Must know hospital emergency procedures regarding disaster, fire and power failures weather related and be able to assist in accordance with established hospital practice, and special training.
15. Requires the use of safety equipment such as respirator, safety glasses, etc. on specific job assignments.
16. Ensure all staff remain up to date on safety training including ICRA & ILSM.
Supervises 1 assistant, 13 trades mechanics floor layers, pipe coverers, construction mechanics, laborers
1. Physically able to walk throughout the campus. Occasionally (less than 15% of the time) get involved in dirty and hazardous environment in the performance of duties.
2. Requires the use of safety equipment such as respirator, safety glasses, etc. on specific job assignment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED.
1. High School Graduate or equivalent, Ability to convey ideas and information and provide necessary information which is easily understood.
2. Eight to ten years of institutional experience. Minimum of three to five years of supervisory experience preferred. Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.