Hazardous Waste Worker, 30 hours (Environmental Services)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/11/2017
END DATE 2/28/2018
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT
* Under direct supervision of the Area Manager, the Hazardous Waste Worker (HWW) collects and processes infectious waste material while following established protocol as determined by the Environmental Services Department.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Collects infectious waste in storage area, packages and labels boxes for transport according to Department of Transportation's regulations.
* May be required to autoclave infectious waste generated throughout the hospital. After the waste is autoclaved, employee disposes according to the Department of Public Health regulations.
* Notifies Area Manager of any unusual circumstances regarding condition of waste bags such as leakage, packing, breakage, labeling and radioactive waste.
* Meets waste transporters at loading dock, escorts driver to designated pick-up area and signs the necessary manifest documents.
* In the event of a spill, i.e. blood, etc. in this area, thoroughly cleans entire area where spill has occurred according of procedure.
* When necessary, washes and disinfects waste dumpsters/bins and cleans entire floor area, including under the compactor area, in order to maintain a clean and odorless appearance.
* Empties the regular waste into the compactor for disposal.
* When assigned, drives tow motor through the hospital to pick-up and deliver the waste dumpsters.
* Drives a van or light truck outside hospital grounds to pick up and deliver empty and full bins containing trash, medical waste, paper/plastic recycling and/or cardboard.
* Sorts recyclable material such as: plastic, cardboard, glass, cans
* Performs minor repairs/maintenance of dumpsters and flat bed trucks.
* Makes and transports bales of cardboard.
* Understands and speaks basic English with writing skills that are generally obtained through completion of high school with one month of on-the-job training.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
* Ability to follow detailed specific protocol regarding the handling and disposal of regular and infectious waste.
* Ability to lift heavy boxes of approximately 40 pounds.
* Contacts with staff and general public when working in the Hospital
* Exposure to blood and body fluids, unpleasant odors and infectious waste during majority of the shift.
* Exposure to and possibility of accidental needlestick punctures from infectious waste, but adherence to safety precautions.
* Possibility of receiving cuts and bruises.
* Exposure to a wide range of temperature change occasioned by outside work as well as autoclaving duties.
* Possible exposure to low-level radioactive waste.
* Standing, stooping and lifting the majority of the work shift.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.