Director of Strategy for Climate
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/12/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OFFICE LOCATIONDC Metro AreaWORK WITH USThe Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Visit www.nature.org/about-us to learn more.The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.POSITION SUMMARYThe Climate Strategy Director provides strategic leadership. coordination and broad management support for The Nature Conservancy's Global Climate Challenge. S/he is responsible for enhancing the organization's climate strategy, building on a current framework to develop the next level of detail and implementation plans by providing strong leadership, organizational management and climate policy expertise.
* ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
* The Climate Strategy Director reports to the Global Climate Challenge Lead/Managing Director, Public PolicyThe Climate Strategy Director, working closely with the Global Climate Challenge Lead, provides strategic leadership to TNC's Global Climate Challenge, coordination of a multi-functional climate team across different parts of the organization, and strategic support for the Climate Coordination Council and Climate Executive Team. The Climate Strategy Director is responsible for enhancing TNC's organizational climate strategy and strengthening the integration and internal support of climate strategies into organizational activities. S/he is responsible for aligning, supporting, and coordinating regional and conservation challenge team (includes Land, Freshwater, Marine and Cities teams) engagement in the global climate strategy and connecting local, regional and global climate activities across the organization for greater impact and clear articulation in messaging, outcome measurement, and fundraising. S/he will support climate fundraising by assisting in proposal development and support the Climate Director of Development on other climate-related fundraising needs as appropriate.The Climate Strategy Director participates on behalf of The Nature Conservancy with special interest groups and works among key government and business officials to increase support for TNC's climate strategy, focusing on policy and funding initiatives that provide conservation opportunities and/or impact TNC climate program strategies and on enhancing relationships with individuals and groups with a diverse spectrum of political views and backgrounds. S/he will represent the TNC climate strategy as needed in external meetings, outreach and donor events.
* RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
* Serves as a key representative on climate strategies and projects with TNC staff, partners, corporate entities and governments to advance Global Climate Challenge.
* Applies strong understanding of key issues relating to climate policy globally.
* Develops, along with key stakeholders, strategies and integrated work plans to maintain consistency, alignment and integration of climate strategies across regional and conservation challenge teams.
* Builds strong links and networks with regional and challenge teams to ensure effective and focused delivery of shared climate strategy goals.
* Assumes broad management and leadership responsibility, in most cases without direct supervisory authority, both internally and externally.
* Manages multi-functional teams in a matrixed environment across a global organization.
* May manage multi-disciplinary administrative and professional staff with responsibility for performance management, training, and career development. Establishes clear directions and sets stretch objectives.
* Operates within budget guidelines to ensure sound financial performance.
* Ensures that public and private funds are raised to meet program needs.
* Contributes to proposals for funding and support fundraising efforts as appropriate.
* Work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by directives of superiors.
* Ensures that program meets all lobbying, contractual and legal regulations and standards.
* Frequent travel domestically and or internationally, including during some evenings and weekends.
* MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
* Bachelor's degree and 7 years of related senior-level policy experience, including current and evolving political, legislative and conservation trends on a federal and/or multi-state level
* At least 5 years' experience in climate policy field
* Fluency in English
* Demonstrated experience conceiving, managing the successful adoption of, and implementing strategic initiatives within an organization or large business unit.
* Demonstrated experience building strong relationships across an organization and with partners such as corporations, donors, and/or volunteers
* Experience managing and supervising a large multi-disciplinary team and managing a program budget.
* Experience working with current and evolving political, legislative, sustainability, and/or conservation trends on a federal and/or multi-state level.
* Experience in directing or participating in complex negotiations and presenting to and communicating with government officials, corporate executives, board members and others
* Experience designing, implementing and directing multiple and multifaceted projects, setting deadlines and ensuring program accountability
* Experience communicating complex processes and ideas effectively to a variety of audiences within and outside an organization
* PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
* Master's degree preferred
* Significant experience in public policy, climate policy, regulatory advocacy, and public funding
* Experience working in a matrixed organization
* Outstanding analytical and project management capabilities. Demonstrated ability to successfully develop and implement complex projects in an unstructured environment
* Outstanding written and oral communication, negotiating and organizational skills
* Independent and self-motivated with the ability to participate effectively in a remote team environment
* International experience and language skills a plusHOW TO APPLYTo apply to position number 44564, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:
59 p.m. Eastern Time on September 23rd 2016.Click 'submit' to apply for the position or 'save for later' to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
* The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
* The successful applicant must meet the requirements of
* The Nature Conservancy's background screening.