Community Development Coordinator
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/12/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONOFFICE LOCATIONJakarta, IndonesiaIND02WORK WITH USThe Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Visit www.nature.org/about-us to learn more.The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.POSITION SUMMARYThe Nature Conservancy (TNC) Indonesia has been supporting the improved natural resource planning and management in Indonesia for 25 years, including working with government, private sector, and local communities. For the past five years, the organization has been supporting development of the Berau Forest Carbon Program (BFCP), one of the key jurisdictional-based green development in Indonesia. The goal of the BFCP is to develop an integrated, jurisdictional-scale approach to green development that is a model for how Indonesia can meet its ambitious economic development goals while reducing emissions and environmental impacts compared to business as usual. TNC is in the process of significantly expanding its support for green development to other provinces Indonesia, including to West Kalimantan, and is entering into a strategic partnership for high conservation value (HCV) area management. The purpose of this partnership is to ensure effective conservation and improved community livelihood through transformation of corporate practices.This partnership will be for 24 months.Expected results of this partnership include, among others,maintaining the stability, integrity, and security of the HCV area; protection of biodiversity and ecosystem services of the HCV area and surrounding landscape through a landscape-based management system; presence of a management institution of the HCV area that accommodates the interests of the stakeholders and especially the local community; integrated management of the HCV area in the management of the wider landscape and building synergy and cooperation between the partner and key stakeholders in the management of the wider landscape; and increased participation and empowerment of communities in managing and utilizing sources of livelihood and ecosystem services in a sustainable manner.TNC Indonesia has a long history of partnering with the private sector to achieve economic development and conservation goals simultaneously, and will draw on this experience in implementing this partnership. We are now building a team to implement this partnership with support from the broader Indonesia Terrestrial Program.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSThe Community Development Coordinator plays a key role in implementing the management of HCV area and generate results as mentioned above.This includes following functions:
1. Implement sustainable management approach and integrate the management of this area into a wider area management (using landscape-based management approach);2. Establish a management institution, including to ensure legality of the management institution, to manage the HCV area;3. Work closely with the partner to strengthen local community institutions in managing their natural resources (including to mentor and develop capacity of community in managing the HCV area) and improve community livelihood (including the development of community enterprises) by means applying SIGAP approach;4. Develop a multi-stakeholder forum to oversee the management of the HCV area, as necessary;5. Work closely with and mentor the partner on the management of HCV area and community engagement, as necessary;6. Develop and maintain close partnership with key stakeholders (such as relevant community, government officials of relevant villages, sub-districts, and district government agencies, private sectors, and NGOs) to support smooth implementation of the partnership, including to hold regular dialogues with these key stakeholders to inform, update, and consult on progress of the partnership;7. Involve in community development works in West Kalimantan, as necessary.The Community Development Coordinator reports to the Partnership Manager and is based in Ketapang District, West Kalimantan.RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
* Manage multi-disciplinary administrative and professional staff, with responsibility for performance management, training and career development.
* Gain cooperation from outside parties to accomplish program goals.
* Financial responsibility may include working within/managing a budget to complete projects, negotiating and contracting with vendors, and assisting with budget development.
* Ensure program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
* Under minimal supervision, makes independent decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment.
* WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT
* May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
* BA/BS degree in biology, ecology, natural resources management and 5 years' experience in conservation practice or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience in community outreach, communications, landscape ecology and working with diverse community members and partner organizations.
* Experience working independently as well as part of a team, and experience in coordinating multiple projects.
* Experience in developing partnerships (partners, community, and government).
* Negotiation skills.
* PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
* Knowledge of land management conservation practice and conservation science.
* Ability to explain conservation practices to technical and non-technical audiences.
* Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management, and natural resource preservation.
* Completing tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
* Excellent communication skills via written, spoken and graphical means in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
* Entrepreneur mindset.
* Experience working in West Kalimantan.HOW TO APPLYTo apply to position number 44620, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:
59 p.m. Eastern Time on September 15, 2016.Click 'submit' to apply for the position or 'save for later' to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
* The successful applicant must meet the requirements of
* The Nature Conservancy's background screening process.
* Job Title:
* Community Development Coordinator
* Job ID: