Assistant Cook Housekeeper, Palmyra Atoll
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/12/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONOFFICE LOCATIONPalmyra AtollPALMWORK WITH USThe Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in more than 35 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.POSITION SUMMARYThe Nature Conservancy is a leading conservation organization working globally to protect ecologically important lands and waters for people and nature. Located 1,000 miles south of Hawai'i, Palmyra Atoll is one of the most spectacular marine wilderness areas on Earth. Palmyra is a 680-acre atoll with 480,000 acres of lagoons, coral reefs, and submerged lands and is a US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) Refuge out to 12 miles and a Marine National Monument out to 50 miles. The Nature Conservancy owns Cooper Island, and manages the atoll in partnership with the USFWS.Palmyra's research station supports scientific research by the world renowned research institutions making up the Palmyra Atoll Research Consortium (PARC) (see www.palmyra-research.org). Staff are hired on a seasonal basis for approximately 3 months at a time to operate the research station and camp facilities. Board and lodging are provided while on-island.The successful candidate must possess, or be able to obtain, a valid Passport with an expiration date later than your term of employment, proof of a physical examination showing good physical and a current tetanus vaccination.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSThe Assistant Cook/Housekeeper is responsible for assisting with set-up and intense cleaning of all field station cabins, associated living areas, bathrooms, showers and recreation areas. Responsible for some meal planning and preparation of high quality breakfast, lunch and dinner for field station guests, staff, volunteers and visiting vessels. Responsible for stocking and rotation of all kitchen inventory, as well as general galley and kitchen clean-up including dishes, floors, storage areas, refrigerators and freezers. Responsible for laundry service and other duties as assigned by the Galley Housekeeping Manager or Field Station Manager.RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
* Ability to live and work productively within a small and confined community on a remote location for up to 3 months.
* Work and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people, including scientists, field station staff and others, providing and obtaining needed information to ensure smooth operations.
* In the event of an emergency atoll staff may be tasked with specific duties to ensure communal safety and welfare. This may include responding to minor/major medical emergencies, tsunami evacuation events, marine rescue events, fuel spills and/or fire containment, etc.
* May supervise staff, or help plan, direct or convey work instructions to other staff or volunteers.
* Independently analyze and diagnose problems then develop and implement appropriate solutions.
* Consult with supervisor to develop plans for resolution of unusual or complex problems.
* Identify and disseminate lessons learned, best practices and methods, tools, consistencies and inconsistencies across seasons.
* WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT
* Will work 6 days per week, in variable weather conditions (hot, humid, wet), at a remote location, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances. These conditions will involve considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain, frequent possibility of injury, long hours in isolated settings, exposure to petroleum products, paint and fuels, employees to be on call on 48 hour shifts to allow for 24 hour a day emergency coverage, employees to assist with community chores even on days off.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
* High school diploma and at least 6 months culinary experience in a professional food services environment within the last 5 years.
* Coursework, training, and/or experience with kitchen operations including:
baking, sauting, grilling, and the preparation and proper handling of meat, fish, assorted cold foods, and demonstration of safe knife handling skills.
* Experience maintaining a sanitary work environment; Serve Safe or equivalent certification.
* Experience with housekeeping and laundry duties.
* Experience performing physically demanding work and lift up to 50 pounds, sometimes under adverse conditions.
* Cumulative 1 year experience working in a confined community such as aboard a ship, field camp, or remote field station.
* PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
* PC familiarity, including database knowledge.
* First Aid and CPR certification.HOW TO APPLYTo apply to position number 43516, submit resume and cover letter as one document. Review of applications will be on-going as needed as assignments are seasonal and filled year round.Click 'submit' to apply for the position or 'save for later' to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
* The successful applicant must meet the requirements of
* The Nature Conservancy's background screening process.
* Job Title:
* Assistant Cook/Housekeeper, Palmyra Atoll
* Job ID:
* Full/Part Time:
* Full-Time .