Conservation and Volunteer Coordinator
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/12/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONOFFICE LOCATIONDublin, OHOH201WORK WITH USThe Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Visit www.nature.org/about-us to learn more.The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.POSITION SUMMARYThe Conservation and Volunteer Coordinator (Coordinator) provides project management, administrative, research, and other assistance to program staff working toward the achievement of conservation and stewardship goals. The Coordinator also promotes and supports all volunteer programs and activities within The Nature Conservancy in Ohio.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSThe Coordinator will be responsible for improving existing and creating new volunteer initiatives in stewardship, membership services, communications, science, development, administration and other program areas. S/he will write and edit promotional materials for the volunteer program. S/he supervises centralized programs and special events to promote and celebrate the volunteer program. S/he will promote and support projects with staff and volunteers, maintain and improve the volunteer database, and promote volunteer leadership. S/he will recruit, provide training and recognition, and ensure continuity and quality of all volunteer programs. The Coordinator provides leadership and direction to the volunteers and works cooperatively with Conservancy staff and members, as well as partner organizations, agencies and businesses. The Coordinator will also lead efforts, working with others, to implement the Youth Safety Program. This involves qualifying volunteer leaders and staff for assignments involving youth. The Coordinator will ensure that youth safety documents are developed, maintained and updated, training is provided, and that required waivers and safety plans are completed when needed.The Coordinator will also manage conservation data, participate in strategic planning for conservation work, and maintain project records statewide as needed. Work will include collecting, assembling and analyzing various types of data from the field or through document surveys, producing maps using GIS software and assisting in the production of reports. Some work may be done in the field (e.g. species monitoring) but much will be based in an office setting, compiling the information collected by others. The Coordinator reports to the Assistant State Director and will help to plan and schedule meetings, note decisions, and document next steps.RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
* Supervises no staff but may oversee and direct work of office volunteers or interns.
* Coordinates multiple tasks or projects in a timely manner and with attention to detail.
* May assist with program budget preparation and monitoring.
* The Coordinator may work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
* Makes day to day decision as delegated by the supervisor.
* Understand and promote statewide volunteer needs and manage communications for volunteer program
* Work with field staff to identify volunteer opportunities
* Plan and organize volunteer projects in the office and for preserves
* Attract and retain volunteers and volunteer leaders (e.g. Crew Chiefs)
* Identify and utilize effective outlets to communicate and promote volunteer projects (social media, regional volunteer networks, local media)
* Maintain and improve volunteer database
* Provides centralized support for statewide tracking of progress, match and other needs of projects throughout the state
* Support Ohio Assistant State Director and others on central conservation logistics and other coordination (e.g. conservation staff meetings, tracking and disseminating grant opportunities, some admin)MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
* Bachelor's degree in biology, ecology, natural resources management or related field and 2 years related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience with Microsoft Office suite.
* Experience using ESRI ArcMap software
* Experience managing diverse activities to meet deadlines.
* Experience handling standard business communications.
* Experience in organizing and managing volunteers.
* Experience in business writing, editing, and proofreading.
* Experience working and communicating with a wide range of people
* PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
* 2-4 years related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* 1-year experience in organizing and managing a volunteer program.
* Ability to complete tasks independently within assigned time frames.
* Ability to manage multiple priorities, with assignments sometimes coming from a number of sources and work independently.
* Ability to coordinate project information from a number of sources to populate databases, create reports and produce manual files.
* Experience using Arc GIS Collector software in field and office settings not required, but helpful.
* Experience utilizing Access and other databases for data entry and report production preferred.
* Strong administrative skills including attention to detail and numerical ability.
* Ability to plan, administer and record results of work-team meetings and activities.
* Supervisory experience.AUTO SAFETY POLICYThis position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered 'high risk drivers.' Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.HOW TO APPLYTo apply to position number 44581, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:
59 p.m. Eastern Time on September 18, 2016.Click 'submit' to apply for the position or 'save for later' to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
* The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
* The successful applicant must meet the requirements of
* The Nature Conservancy's background screening process.
* Job Title:
* Conservation and Volunteer Coordinator
* Job ID:
* Full/Part Time: