Medical Office Assistant
Detroit Medical Center - Clinton Township, MI
This job is no longer active. View similar jobs
Under general supervision, and according to established policies and procedures, performs the duties of a Medical Assistant and Patient Services Assistant for assigned area. Greets visitors, registers patients, contacts various insurance providers and schedules patients according to established guidelines. Assist physician or physician extender with patient examination by preparing exam room, taking vital signs, assisting during exam, etc.
1. Greets visitors, answers telephones and directs calls and visitors to appropriate place or person.
2. Registers patients for outpatient services. Obtains necessary demographic, insurance and related data according to policies and procedures.
3. Contacts various insurance providers to determine benefit levels and patient co-pays, as needed. Collected and posts payments and prepares daily deposits for monies received.
4. Pulls and prepares patient charts prior to appointment. Files notes, prescriptions, face sheets and other documentation in medical record. Copies and releases medical record information, as needed.
5. Assists physician with patient examinations by preparing exam room, helping to move or position patients for procedures, handling instruments, etc.
6. Takes vital signs such as temperature, blood pressure and weight. Documents patient's reason for visit and vital signs in patient's chart.
7. May perform any of the following medical procedures: giving non-intravenous injections, venipuncture, performing EKG's, assisting with stress tests, routine x-rays, PFT's, and other related activities.
8. Obtains referrals and schedules patient's appointments or procedures according to guidelines.
9. Enters, reviews, researches and corrects computerized records of patient billing information. Provides billing company with companies of all payments and rejections.
10. Performs various other support duties such as preparing laboratory slips or statistical data, typing various correspondence, training new personnel, etc.
11. Follows established policies and procedures to meet minimum like safety standards of JCAHO/OSHA. Actively participates in all safety training including but not limited to cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and annual safety training.
High school diploma and completion of an approved Medical Assistant training program.
One to two years previous medical office and clerical experience.
CAUTION: ENSURE THAT YOU MEET ALL MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS, AND THAT THEY ARE REFLECTED ON YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION/RESUME