Training and Development Manager 5/30/2018
Harvard Business Publishing
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Harvard Business Publishing (HBP) was founded in 1994 as a not-for-profit, wholly-owned subsidiary of Harvard University, reporting into Harvard Business School. Our mission is to improve the practice of management in a changing world. This mission influences how we approach what we do here and what we believe is important.
Corporate Learning Harvard Business Publishing Corporate Learning partners with clients to create world-class leadership development solutions for managers at all levels in global organizations and governments. We leverage the management insight, thought leadership, and expertise of Harvard Business School faculty and Harvard Business Review authors to provide solutions that are relevant to today s most pressing business challenges. For more than 20 years, we have developed and delivered innovative, technology-enabled solutions that drive meaningful business results.
This Training and Development manager is a critical part of the Sales organization. This role supports the director in charge of Sales Learning and Planning and is responsible for assessing developmental needs in our sales organization to drive training solutions for our sales and learning solutions teams as well as to the broader CET team (Client Engagement Team). This position actively searches, creatively designs and implements effective methods to educate and enhance performance.
* Our company-wide transformation to learning experiences is raising the bar for all our sales people to be able to sell solutions rather than products and create learning experiences for clients that impact their business.
* As CL begins to work more closely with other parts of the organization, such as HBS and HBX, the need for training, development and common language is important.
* We need a consistent way of working with our clients through their buying process that creates a differentiated experience that represent the brand and provides unique value to the client.
* We need the sales teams to be trusted business partners with clients and comfortable selling the intangible.
The Training and Development Manager is responsible for:
* Preparing new sales representatives by conducting orientation to the sales process; managing the peer mentoring program; managing and improving the onboarding process. As we move to a more global footprint, evolving the program to be more virtual and simultaneously more engaging.
* Training and development:
* Determine training needs assessments-- observing sales encounters; studying sales results reports; conferring with managers.
* Propose training and development programs and objectives, with measurement components
* Develop effective training materials utilizing a variety of media.
* Train and coach managers, supervisors and others involved.
* Plan, organize, facilitate employee development and training events.
* Conduct follow-up studies of all completed training to evaluate and measure results.
* Modify programs as needed.
* Continuously improving training effectiveness by developing new approaches and techniques; making support readily available; integrating support with routine job functions
* Supporting training financial objectives by recommending budget items; controlling costs.
* Updating job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
* Special projects as needed.
EXPERIENCES AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* 3-5 years as a training/development specialist, with experience in sales, demonstrating impact.
* Experience working in large organizations a plus.
* Knowledge of instructional design, curriculum and content development, multimodal methods of training delivery, learning platforms and evaluation.
* Excellent organizational and project management skills.
* Excellent communication, problem solving and consultation skill.s
* Strong business and financial acumen combined with a sense of urgency and a desire to achieve top line results.
* Ability to measure and articulate key outcomes that impact the business.
* Demonstrated ability to flex style and solutions to the needs of the individual, organization, or environment.
* Independent initiative; able to work remotely and with moderate direct Supervision.
* Comfort with ambiguity.
* Able to build strong relationships with sales people, sales leaders and leaders within other functions of HBP..
Harvard Business Publishing is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. EEO is the Law.