Laboratory Supervisor (3rd Shift) - veterinary parasitology 9/16/2017
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY 7,000 PEOPLE, ONE GLOBAL FOCUS ENHANCING THE HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF PETS, PEOPLE, AND LIVESTOCK. WE ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT WHAT WE DO AT IDEXX AND WHY WOULDNT WE BE? WHEN YOURE WORKING TO RAISE THE STANDARD OF CARE FOR PETS, MAKE DRINKING WATER SAFE FOR BILLIONS AND KEEP OUR LIVESTOCK POPULATION AROUND THE GLOBE HEALTHY AND FREE OF DISEASE, ITS NO WONDER THAT WHAT WE DO EACH DAY IS MORE THAN JUST A JOB. THERES AN ENERGY ACROSS IDEXX THAT IS CONTAGIOUS WHERE CARING AND COMMITTED PEOPLE COME TOGETHER TO MAKE THINGS BETTER.
As a Laboratory Supervisor in the Parasitology department, you will oversee day-to-day activities in an animal diagnostic reference laboratory, where Technicians and Technologists are performing laboratory analyses and testing to diagnose various animal illnesses, injuries and diseases in support of veterinarian animal treatment.
An ideal candidate would have supervisory experience in a laboratory, research/animal husbandry or veterinary clinic/hospital setting.
This is a 3rd shift/overnight position offering a competitive salary, benefits and numerous opportunities for career development. Relocation assistance would be considered for a qualified candidate.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Supervises day-to-day activities in a laboratory unit/group/area, performing laboratory analyses and tests to diagnose various pet and other animal illnesses, injuries and diseases in support of veterinarian animal treatment.
* Supervises staff, assigning work, monitoring activities and evaluating performance. Resolves escalated issues. Administers employment actions, provides coaching and guidance to staff and promotes staff training and development. Provides input to department policies and procedures.
* Leads work activities of the lab unit/group/area/department, planning and organizing work, providing for adequate staffing and resources and maintaining work on schedule so that ongoing customer satisfaction is maintained.
* Communicates with other related departments to coordinate work and resolve issues as needed.
* Contributes to maintenance of department diagnostic equipment and other technical resources. Coordinates with internal personnel, vendors and others as needed to resolve issues and maintain ongoing functionality.
* Prepares reports, presentations and other information summarizing work activities. Prepares various analyses as needed to highlight issues and resolve questions.
* Maintains knowledge of changes and developments in the industry affecting work activities. May participate in outside industry groups and forums related to business activities.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Adheres to and models the IDEXX Purpose & Guiding Principles.
* Bachelors Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience required, preferably in Science-related field.
* Typically 5-7 years related work experience, with in-depth experience in the area(s) supervised.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Supervisory skills and ability.
* Typically supervises moderate-size and/or less complex work group.
* Typically supervises staff in a Regional/Core lab.
* May supervise Bench/Associate Supervisors.
* Ability to organize, prioritize and direct work activities.
* Experience with the operations, testing and services of the area(s) supervised, including setting up, reading and releasing test results and troubleshooting equipment.
* Extensive laboratory skills and experience.
* Reasoning and analytical skills to resolve issues.
* Communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Personal computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
* Extensive sitting, phone and computer use.
* Capable of standing continuously for up to 2 hours.
* Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers.
* Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crouch.
* May be required to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
* Hearing acuity sufficient to effectively communicate with customers and Employees via telephone and in person.
* Ability to communicate verbally on phone and in person.
* Fluency in the English language.
* Extended hours may be required.
* Some travel required.
* Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present.
* Potential for exposure to agents known to cause zoonotic disease in humans and use of potentially hazardous chemicals as defined by the National Hazard Communication Standards. A complete list of such chemicals is available from department supervision.
WHILE WE APPRECIATE OUR STAFFING PARTNERS, WE ARE UNABLE TO ACCEPT UNSOLICITED AGENCY RESUMES