Major Gifts Officer 9/19/2017
March of Dimes
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Number
Major Gifts Officer
Full Time Regular
The Director of Philanthropy, Major Gifts Officer is a position responsible for rapidly growing and raising significant new revenue for the March of Dimes through individual and major gifts within a Market.
* Develop a donor-centric Individual Giving plan for the Market in conjunction with the Region Director of Individual Giving, Executive Director, Market staff, and local Board of Directors. Plan is to include volunteer leadership recruitment and management; prospect identification, research, and evaluation; the further development of a donor-centric culture; an aggressive timeline; and integration with other revenue streams to attract, retain, and upgrade general and special event donors to provide additive dollars to the Campaign. Manage the execution of all elements of the plan and document as required in CRM system.
* In conjunction with Executive Director and Market staff, recruit and manage high-profile volunteers who contribute a personally significant gift to serve on a local committee to cultivate and solicit others within their network for six- and seven-figure gifts. Ensure committee members are appropriately supported and trained on mission opportunities, Campaign best practices, and successful donor solicitation. Manage and service committee members through regular committee and individual interaction, verbal and written meeting preparation, and general support.
* Personally identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward donor prospects who have capacity for five-, six-, and seven figure gifts. Develop a tailored strategy for each prospect and coordinate steps to move them toward readiness to be asked for a substantial gift. Coordinate the entire process with members of the Market and Region team.
* Working with support from the Director, Planned Giving and Endowment Development Identify and engage potential current and deferred gifts of assets from March of Dimes' most passionate supporters.
* Train Market staff on how to articulate March of Dimes mission, programs, and research as well as the moves management cycle, major gifts best practices, and volunteer committee management.
* Plan and implement effective cultivation and recognition events in association with March of Dimes colleagues, mission partners, and volunteers to enhance the connection and involvement of prospects and donors with March of Dimes.
* Prepare written materials, including correspondence, solicitation materials, briefing materials, acknowledgements, and other items to promote the Campaign to End Premature Birth and personal major giving to the March of Dimes.
* Utilize CRM system to manage the relationship building process and support the business process of individual giving by tracking interactions, approaches, and donations from prospects and donors.
* Gain a thorough understanding of the Foundation its values, history, culture, traditions, communities, programs, personalities, constituencies and governance structure; understand its base of financial support and the short and long-term funding requirements of all segments of the organization.
* Handle other duties as assigned.
* Minimum of 5-7 years of directly related work experience, including substantial time in the realm of individual and major giving. Experience in Capital Campaigns highly desired and experience in Transformational Giving (7+ figures) is a plus.
* Familiarity with asset-based giving options a requirement.
* Progressively responsible, volunteer management, and project management experience required.
* Four year college degree or equivalent experience.
Knowledge and Skills
* Demonstrated success in personal cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and closing major gifts at the level of $50,000 and above.
* Experience recruiting and developing high net worth volunteer leaders. Ability to inspire the best in volunteers by being a trusted partner in the work of raising large gifts.
* Proficiency with CRM systems and all MS Office products.
* Ability to travel outside of the Market as needed for training opportunities and other March of Dimes business.
Traits and characteristics
* Positive attitude required.
* Self-starter who is results oriented.
* Team player with ability to work collaboratively and build effective working relationships with colleagues and volunteers.
* Superior oral, written, and presentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate the need for and benefits of supporting the March of Dimes.
* Exceptional organization skills.
* Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
* Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided here.