Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement 2/20/2017
University of California - Los Angeles Medical Centers
Los Angeles, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title:
Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement
Monday - Friday
1145 Gayley Ave. Ste. 391
$36.88 / $6417
$71.84 / $12500
Layoff Referral Deadline:
A) CDI administrative tasks
1. Assists co-workers and management as workload requires.
2. Serves as a resource regarding policies, procedures and practices.
3. Problem-solves issues encountered by the CDS'.
4. Reviews the work of the CDS', including their worksheet preparation and appropriateness of queries.
5. Consistently maintains quality and productivity standards for the CDS'.
6. Works collaboratively on matters between CDS and Coding with the Lead Coder/CDS Liaison.
7. Contributes to and participates in team education efforts and activities. Coordinates monthly or bimonthly meetings between CDS' and the coders.
8. Uses CDR2 to monitor and interpret all aspects of the CDI Program (\\"power user\\" of CDR2).
a. Maintains integrity of data collection.
b. Ensures accurate data entry.
c. Demonstrates competence in navigating in CDR2.
d. Utilizes CDR2 as a resource in ensuring accurate documentation.
9. Performing quality review/audit activities such as reviewing 5 cases from each CDS every other week per Metric 1 on Claro's 7-point checklist and reviewing Coder feedback on completed CDS worksheets.
10. Measuring CDS productivity and effectiveness by evaluating other aspects of CDI process including physician participation (Metrics 2-7 on Claro's 7-point checklist).
11. Shares and explains performance data to the CDS staff.
B) Production tasks
1. Reviews transfer cases, performs initial case reviews and follow up on assigned cases in accordance with CDI Program standards.
2. Performing or assigning second level reviews with appropriate follow-up on results.
3. Support the Rapid Mortality Response (RMR) team.
4. Fill in for the CDS' when they are absent.
5. Assist the CDS' during spikes in case load and assists with escalation of unanswered queries.
6. Take some cases from the CDS', assigning them to his/her own CDR2 worklist and performing the review in order to keep abreast of the process.
7. Go to the units to interface with physicians to assist with pending queries, promote the CDI Program and gather insights for physician education topics.
8. Interface with Ancillary Staff to solicit their understanding and assistance in documentation specificity for physicians.
Experience: 3-5 years of increasingly responsible management experience; including at least 3 years of current clinical documentation experience or equivalent of experience in case management, utilization management or prior chart review experience. Academic medical center experience highly preferred
Certifications: CCDS or CDIP and CCS required
License: RN license California Registered Nurse or medical equivalent is preferred
Degree: A Bachelor's degree in Nursing, Case Management, Utilization management, Healthcare or a related field is required. A Master's degree is preferred.