Materials Science Associate 10/12/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY EXPONENT is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm. Our multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, physicians, and regulatory consultants brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve complicated problems facing corporations, insurers, government entities, associations and individuals. Our more than 1000 staff members work in 26 offices across the United States and abroad. Exponent has approximately 800 consultants, including more than 500 that have earned a doctorate in their chosen field of specialization.
Exponent's POLYMER SCIENCE & MATERIALS CHEMISTRY Practice is currently hiring an Associate/Engineer/Scientist to join our consulting staff in our Natick, MA office. Candidates should have an advanced degree (Ph.D. or equivalent), with some related industrial experience considered a plus. The successful candidate will possess extensive practical knowledge of the physical, chemical and mechanical behavior of macromolecules and will be highly skilled in a range of analytical and experimental techniques including FTIR, DSC, TGA, DMA, Fractography, Chromatography and Microscopy. Experience in polymer and composite processing (e.g. extrusion, resin transfer molding, injection molding), polymer resin formulations, and adhesive chemistry is a plus. This position requires some travel and will involve collaboration with scientists and engineers from other Exponent offices and practices. A long-term goal for a successful candidate will be to develop business by obtaining new projects and bringing new clients to the firm.
Responsibilities for this position include:
* Inspections, scientific analysis and testing to address the specification and reliability of polymeric materials in a variety of applications ranging from consumer products to medical devices
* A significant portion of activities will include root cause analysis of a wide variety of failures related to issues arising in development, manufacturing or use of products manufactured for the construction, medical device, consumer electronics, and pharmaceutical industries
* Assignments will require the ability to gather information from and convey technical conclusions to individuals in engineering, business, law and industry
Qualifications for this position include:
* Ph.D. in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or a related field
* A strong theoretical and practical knowledge of macromolecules and associated characterization techniques
* Experience with sampling techniques and statistical data analysis for FTIR, DSC, TGA, DMA, Fractography, Chromatography and Microscopy (optical and electron based techniques)
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Superior problem-solving abilities
* Strong educational and publication credentials
* Strong teamwork and leadership skills
To learn more about life at Exponent, check out our Graduate Students page at www.exponent.com/careers/grad-students!
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Veterans and Disabled Employer. Back Email Apply Now