Medical Technologist, Core Laboratory - Evenings
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/10/2017
END DATE 12/12/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
Performs complex analyses which necessitates a knowledge of laboratory techniques, principles, and equipment and their interrelationship.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Processes specimens to be evaluated.
2. Performs and interprets analyses offered by the section accurately and efficiently according to established procedures.
3. Maintains accurate and orderly records of tests performed.
4. Uses independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action.
5. Generally works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole. Facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
6. Performs, evaluates, interprets and documents quality control of equipment and procedures within established guidelines.
7. Performs and documents routine equipment preventive maintenanceand minor repairs.
8. Teaches students, new employees and others as assigned by Manager. (Refer to Primary Instructor job description when applicable.)
9. Readily assists in development and/or implementation of new or revised procedures.
10. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement.
11. Demonstrates ServicePRIDE standards.
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
13. Performs other duties as assigned. Utilizes spare time to seek out and complete extra tasks.
* Must have a baccalaureate degree in a related field and either successful completion of an accredited Medical Technology program, or completion of a combination of education and experience as defined by American Society of Clinical Pathology as alternate routes for eligibility for the MT(ASCP) exam.
* Must be board eligible upon hire and must successfully pass the ASCP registry exam within one calendar year from date of hire.
* Minimum of 1 year of work or training experience in a large hospital laboratory.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Must be certified as a Medical Technologist MT (or categorical certification) by the Board of Registry (ASCP),
* OR as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS (or categorical certification) by NCA.
* OR certified by the American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ABHI),
* OR certification by the American Society of Microbiologists.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Knowledge of the functional discipline of the work area.
2. Knowledge of work area processes and procedures.
3. Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships as required in the operating environment.
4. Skill in verbal and written communication.
5. Skill in planning and organizing the work area.
6. Ability to analyze and solve problems.
7. Must meet the requirements on the competency checklist for assigned work area.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report s Best Hospital list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of 100 Best Companies To Work For since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world. APPLY.