Metrology Engineer 10/11/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Novanta, Inc. - Celera Motion
Bedford - Bedford, MA 01730-1402 US (Primary)
In this exciting and challenging role you will work for Novanta Inc. Novanta is a leading global supplier of precision photonic components and subsystems to OEM s in the Medical, Industrial and Microelectronics markets. Our highly engineered solutions include scanning and beam delivery products, medical visualization and informatics solutions, and precision motion control products. We specialize in collaborating with OEM customers to adapt our component and subsystem technologies to deliver highly differentiated performance in their most demanding applications.
The key to our success is our global team of talented, experienced and customer-focused professionals that take utmost pride in partnering with customers to deliver technology solutions that achieve the best possible results within the target applications.
The Corporate division of the Novanta, a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: NOVT). Join us and start working with our team of 1,400 employees in over 15 locations across the world. Novanta was founded in 1968, allowing us to claim nearly 50 years of experience in our areas of expertise.
Our success is driven by our global team of highly talented, experienced and customer-focused professionals. As a Novanta employee you will be part of a fast-paced, growing company that partners very closely with its customers. We focus on operational excellence, leadership, and accountability. If you are a hard-working, self-starter, who is looking to share your ideas, develop your skills, widen your experiences, and you want to make an impact in an exciting and challenging work environment, then Novanta is the workplace for you. We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package, and exciting career opportunities.
Novanta Website: www.novanta.com
Celera Motion s precision motion control products solve challenges for technology-driven medical and advanced manufacturing original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are growing and are looking for a skilled and enthusiastic Senior Metrology Engineer to join our high performing technology team, focusing on maintaining and expanding the performance our industry leading precision position encoders which are used in some of the most advanced mechatronics and robotics applications in the world.
The ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized self-starter with an obsession for accuracy and a passion for working with some of the most sophisticated measurement equipment in the industry.
To learn more about Celera Motion, please visit us at www.celeramotion.com
* Develops test methodology that reliably and accurately quantifies and reports encoder system accuracy
* Characterizes encoder accuracy at all levels, including long range scaling, mid-range nonlinearity, and short range cyclic errors
* Investigates encoder error sources and cooperatively works with multi-disciplinary teams to identify the root causes of encoder errors and implement design improvements and corrective processing steps
* Trains technicians and production personnel to perform routine accuracy tests on our linear and rotary accuracy test fixtures and to prepare clear, sufficiently detailed accuracy reports for our customers
* Organizes and maintain accuracy data files and develops software tools for efficient access to well documented data for use by Engineering, Quality, Sales, and Production personnel
* Leads the design and assembly of our next generation linear and rotary test systems including directing and managing a multidisciplinary team, ensuring that the best metrological practices are employed
* Maintains our accuracy test lab as an orderly, well-equipped, efficient working space suitable for the world leader in precision position encoder technology
* Assists in the development of encoder calibration and compensation algorithms aimed at minimizing the effects of error sources within encoders.
* Establishes standards within Celera Motion for characterizing, specifying, and communicating encoder accuracy, including its magnitude and spatial frequency content.
* Serves as resident expert in encoder accuracy as we support our customer base including clearly communicating highly technical principles, methods, and data related to encoder accuracy to our customers.
* Provides training for Celera Motion Applications Engineers in how to minimize encoder errors when specifying, installing, and operating our encoders
* Guides our chrome-on-glass scale and metal substrate suppliers toward materials, processes, and inspection methods that provide Celera Motion with highly accurate encoder scales
* Assists with the design and regularly monitors the performance of sophisticated production machinery for volume production of encoder gratings and scales
* Quantifies and monitors production test and build fixtures to ensure alignment accuracy and data collection integrity on our production floor.
* Assists and advises our Production and QA teams in the daily use of control units to track trends in our test and build data.
* Effectively communicates activity status, issues, and mitigation plans with key stakeholders both internal and external
* Creates formal documentation as required
* Provides pre-sale and post-sale product/technical support to strategic medical and industrial customers as needed
* B.S. in Electrical, Mechanical, Optical Engineering, Physics or other related degree
* 7+ years working in a sophisticated metrology lab or production setting
* Demonstrated strong analytical, problem solving and debugging skills
* Demonstrated strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills; comfortable speaking across multiple levels of the organization
* Demonstrated ability to be highly organized and process driven
* Positive, can do attitude, strong engagement skills and ability to influence positive outcomes
* Sense of urgency with personal commitment to the products market success
* Displays high moral and business code of conduct
* Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and be flexible enough to change priorities with short notice when necessary
* Must have a passion for learning and technology
* Strong presentation skills to engage the attention of both customers and colleagues with the ability to communicate complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways
* Respectful of customers, peers, subordinates and supervisors
* Excellent working knowledge of common statistical analysis tools analytical tools as well as Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and MS Project
* MS in Electrical, Mechanical, Optical Engineering, Physics or other related degree
* Experience with motion control, industrial, medical or manufacturing automation products, applications and technology
* Experience with project planning and tracking tools such as MS Project, Smartsheets or similar
Must possess a US valid passport or Green Card and be able to travel internationally, if required. May require up to 15% travel, including visits to different Celera facilities
Novanta is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to physical or mental disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other protected federal, state/province or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.