Nurse Education Specialist I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/11/2017
END DATE 7/13/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
This is a PRN position
The Nurse Education Specialist (NES) I participates in patient care by serving as a role model, a clinical
consultant, and an educator of staff. The NES I maintains competence in adult learning theory, presentation skills, competency validation, age specific competence related to patient population of assigned area(s), unit-specific, high risk/low frequency skills, and mandatory waived testing skills for areas of responsibility.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental Scope of Service and Provision of Care plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team-focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results.
2. Collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals.
3. Assesses educational and professional needs within assigned units on an ongoing basis utilizing unit metrics, nursing dashboards, interdisciplinary rounds, scorecards, accreditation recommendations, patient satisfaction scores, nursing satisfaction scores, and staff surveys. Participates in the assessment of institutional educational needs across units/departments.
SERVICE - 25%
1. Functions directly and indirectly as a clinical resource/consultant for patient care delivery by working with staff, management, patients/families, and/or other groups as applicable. Makes recommendations based on the patient's status and growth and developmental needs.
2. Provides education services to patients/families within specialty areas, as assigned.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Collaborates with NES II to design, implement, and evaluate programs to meet the identified needs of the staff, patients/families on assigned units/departments using current curriculum development and evaluation strategies, current instructional technology, and adult learning theory to provide consistency, assure clinical competency of staff with respect to new technology or practice improvements, and support patient safety and the delivery of quality clinical services.
2. Completes section and department reports and submits them as scheduled.
3. Coordinates, maintains, and submits as indicated all program records in a timely fashion.
FINANCE - 10%
1. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Recommends solutions in achieving departmental objectives.
2. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks to meet the needs of clinical areas and department.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Identifies unique and creative ways to assure accessibility and availability of clinical education programs to staff on all shifts and in all areas, identifying ways to provide learning experiences, evaluate learning, and assesses performance and competency, that are evidenced based, cost effective, and feasible for implementation in the clinical setting.
2. Participates in research activities and conducts evidenced-based practice projects as indicated by the population served and staff and unit/department needs.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
* Bachelors degree required, must be in nursing. Masters degree preferred, may be in health or education field
* Minimum three years clinical experience in a specialty area
* Experience in education preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements.
* AHA BLS
* Magnet-recognized certification in applicable specialty area within 6 months of eligibility.
* Completion of specialty program with certification for selected positions, i.e. Wound Ostomy
* ACLS preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Ability to build evidence-based practice into the clinical setting
* Demonstrates ability to plan, organize, and follow through on assignments and/or projects
* Exhibits leadership abilities including collaborative, consultative and coaching skills
* Ability to utilize adult learning theory; knowledge of current educational technologies
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
* Sufficient fluency and proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
* Working knowledge of Microsoft products including PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report s Best Hospital list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of 100 Best Companies To Work For since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world. APPLY.