Nurse Education Specialist I (RN) Childbirth 3/21/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
The Nurse Education Specialist I (Childbirth) participates in patient care by serving as a role model, a clinical consultant, and an educator of staff and/or patients/families on a 24 hour basis. The NES I maintains competence in adult learning theory, presentation skills, competency validation, age specific competence related to patient population of assigned area(s), unit-specific, high risk/low frequency skills, and mandatory waived testing skills for areas of responsibility.
This position is responsible for conveying to the participants the key concepts and skills required for success in pregnancy, childbirth and infant care. Performance is consistent with the standards as defined by ASPO/Lamaze International.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Functions directly and indirectly as a clinical resource/consultant for patient care delivery by working with staff, management, patients/families, and/or other groups as applicable. Makes recommendations based on the patient's status and growth and developmental needs.
* Collaborating with clinical and management staff, assesses educational and professional needs within assigned units on an ongoing basis utilizing unit metrics, nursing dashboards, interdisciplinary rounds, scorecards, accreditation recommendations, patient satisfaction scores, nursing satisfaction scores, and staff surveys. Participates in the assessment of institutional educational needs across units/departments.
* Collaborates with NES II to design, implement, and evaluate programs to meet the identified needs of the staff, patients/families on assigned units/departments using current curriculum development and evaluation strategies, current instructional technology, and adult learning theory to provide consistency, assure clinical competency of staff with respect to new technology or practice improvements, and support patient safety and the delivery of quality clinical services.
* Identifies unique and creative ways to assure accessibility and availability of clinical education programs to staff on all shifts and in all areas, identifying ways to provide learning experiences, evaluate learning, and assesses performance and competency, that are evidenced based, cost effective, and feasible for implementation in the clinical setting.
* Provides education services to patients/families within specialty areas, as assigned.
* Participates in research activities and conducts evidenced based practice projects as indicated by the population served and staff and unit/department needs.
* Completes section and department reports and submits them as scheduled.
* Coordinates, maintains, and submits as indicated all program records in a timely fashion.
* Prioritizes workload to meet the needs of clinical areas and department.
* Maintains and updates own professional knowledge base and clinical skills.
* Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
* Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
* Knowledgeable of and follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
* Supports departmental activities and performs other job related duties, as assigned.
Bachelor s degree required, Master s degree in health related field or education preferred.
3 years clinical experience in specialty area required; Previous clinical experience in obstetrics or extensive past experience in childbirth education within a hospital setting.
Experience in education preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current RN Texas licensure required
Magnet Recognized Certification in applicable clinical specialty.
Graduation from a specialty program with certification required for selected positions (e.g. Wound and Ostomy)
Current American Heart BLS
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Able to build evidence-based practice into the clinical setting.
* Demonstrates ability to plan, organize, and follow through on assignments and/or projects.
* Demonstrates leadership abilities, including collaborative, consultative and coaching skills.
* Demonstrates interpersonal skills and highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
* Able to speak and write English fluently
* Able to utilize adult learning theory
* Must have a working knowledge of Powerpoint, Microsoft Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
* Demonstrates knowledge of current educational technologies
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, brining more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 251 licensed beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1,600 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community. APPLY