Operations Supervisor - Plate Steel
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/20/2017
END DATE 11/29/2017
A.M. Castle & Co
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION
The Operations Supervisor oversees and executes activities of workers concerned with receiving, storing, retrieving, issuing, processing, and shipping of material(s). Responsible for ensuring warehouse employees are actively engaged and meet daily customer demand and production schedule within specified productivity, quality, and safety standards.
ESSENTIAL PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Responsible for day-to day supervision and performance of a group of 6 or more employees. Guides/monitors group toward its goals ensures employee s productivity, resolve problems as they arise. Has authority to change work roles and work distribution. Responsible for input to Human Resources matters of significance: e.g. participates in selection of new employees, provides meaningful input to performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, terminations etc.
* Prioritizes workload consistent with service level goals and customer requirements and allocates staff to meet production schedules. Addresses and/or works with Operations/Branch Manager regarding problems / concerns with quality, processes, equipment, materials and labor.
* May act as back up to Operations Manager.
* Completes required reporting and production metrics; facilitate regular team communication regarding metrics and performance
* Administers established employee policies and practices, enforces plant rules, and maintains discipline and employee morale. Evaluates performance of subordinates, recommends disciplinary actions as appropriate.
* Maintains a safe work environment by ensuring adherence to safety policies, assessing and eliminating hazards, and conducting timely accident/incident investigations, including the implementation of corrective action to prevent future accidents.
* Ensures established quality requirements and standards are met on a consistent basis through proper training of employees
* Recommends and /or identifies continuous improvement in work efforts. Sustain and drive lean manufacturing and 5S activities.
* Works closely with support staff such as Inside Sales Managers and Operators to resolve any related issues.
* Performs other related duties as assigned
* Minimum two (2) years progressive supervisory experience in a distribution or manufacturing environment required which includes background with inventory systems, ERPsoftware, productivity measurements, manufacturing philosophies, and material handling equipment
* Working knowledge of manufacturing and management techniques such as Continuous Improvement, Kaizen, and 5S strongly preferred
* Bachelor s Degree Program: business, engineering, logistics or similar field, or equivalent experience
* Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to lead others and managing performance and execution
* Leader with facilitating teamwork and collaboration
* Analytical thinking and decision making
* Managing organizational relationships
* Business acumen
* PC literacy
* Effective verbal communication skills
* Ability to analyze and solve operational problems and opportunities
* Previous experience working in a union environment