Patient Care Assistant I-Cardiology
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 5/18/2017
END DATE 11/30/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
The PCA I is a PCA with little to no acute care hospital experience who will be engaged in an extended orientation period to include developmental classes and assigned preceptor. Upon completion of orientation, demonstrates basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated nursing assistant level tasks for assigned patient populations, assisting in the delivery of patient care and services under the supervision of a licensed nurse. Practices Patient and Family Centered Care in concert with The Methodist Hospital System s values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence standards.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Note: define for the unit assigned
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs and assists with basic patient care activities of daily living (ADL s) within unit specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity.
2. Performs and documents, where applicable, care administered, diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures as determined by skills training and validation in accordance with established policies and procedures. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to licensed personnel to achieve desired patient outcomes.
3. Responds to the Nurse Call System, contacting nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting patient needs.
4. Assists with maintaining and cleaning of equipment and supplies as established on assigned unit. Assists with positioning and transporting of patients.
5. Seeks guidance and validation of knowledge base, skill level and decision making as necessary, especially in areas of question, from preceptor and assigned licensed personnel.
6. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves basic and routine matters, and manages multiple ongoing priorities, seeking guidance and assistance from preceptor, licensed nurse, or management. Participates as team player.
7. Provides for the privacy of patients and families and keeping the safety of the patient in mind.
8. Assumes responsibility for growth and development by participating in in-service programs and continuing education. Completes required continuous training and education, including department specific requirements.
9. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE Values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence). Demonstrates Relationship-Centered Care standards (smiles and makes eye contact, greets each patient and visitor, seeks out patient and visitor contact, displays appropriate body language, takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for at least one patient or visitor, honors diversity, thanks every customer.
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communications with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
11. Performs other duties as assigned, which include assisting with staffing needs across the service line as competencies allow.
High School Diploma or GED required and Completion of PCA Orientation and assigned classes post start
If certified (CNA or MA), then 6 months acute care hospital experience,
If not certified, then minimum 18 months Nursing or Medical Assistant experience,
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS
Certification as Nursing Assistant or Medical Assistant less than 18 months PCA/MA experience
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
Computer knowledge with ability to use Hospital Information Systems and Office software
Medical terminology preferred.
Must demonstrate interpersonal skills with all levels of healthcare team.
Demonstrates initiative, flexibility and positive interpersonal skills with all levels of the health care team.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report s Best Hospital list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of 100 Best Companies To Work For since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world. APPLY.