Patient Navigator Nurse(RN) Breast Cancer - Cancer Center 9/20/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
The ideal incumbent for this role will have previous experience as a Transplant Coordinator, or Patient Navigator. This role will focus specifically on breast cancer patients, therefore CBCN, or OCN certification, and BSN required.
The Patient Navigator RN serves as an expert population specific clinician, patient/client advocate and assists population specific patients/families to navigate the complex health care system in an organized, effective and efficient manner within the variety of Hospital Programs. The Patient Navigator RN embodies the behaviors associated with the Leadership, Art and Science of Nursing (identified in Duties and Responsibilities) at the Proficient level according to Benner s model of clinical practice.
The Patient Navigator RN assumes leadership responsibilities with high level contributions in direct patient interaction, the unit, the service line, and across the institution. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, leading unit and shared governance activities, assessing service line needs related to practice and improvement opportunities, coordinating program education and serving as a clinical resource for both program and hospital staff.
The Patient Navigator RN practices Relationship Centered Care in concert with Houston Methodist Hospital System values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence as well as adheres to the Service Pride Standards.
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital s Pillars of Excellence:
People (providing direction and plans, leading and managing people, ICARE values)
Service (patient/customer satisfaction, interpersonal effectiveness)
Quality and Safety (making judgments and decisions)
Finance (driving for performance excellence)
Innovation and Growth (leading improvement and innovation, role-specific expertise)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* PATIENT/FAMILY-CENTERED CARE
* Facilitates entry of patients into the population specific program and assists with coordination of care through personalized interaction. Follows the population specific patient throughout the continuum of care and into survivorship. (Service)
* Educates the patient and family on disease specific guidelines and treatment options to enable patient-led treatment decisions. Educates and/or facilitates patient on introduction to program clinical trial information, resource referrals, and counseling. (Service)
* Develops and updates plan of care in partnership with the patient and family; mentors others regarding specialty populations; audits plan of care. (Service)
* Develops informational/educational resources and programs related to program services. (Service)
* Advocates for patients and families in preventing/resolving clinical or ethical issues; develops supportive unit practices and guidelines. (Service)
* Contributes to meeting departmental target for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (Service)
* CLINICAL JUDGEMENT/CRITICAL THINKING
* Monitors healthcare pathways with multidisciplinary teams and intervenes when necessary to improve timeliness of care. (Quality/Safety)
* Incorporate survivorship by developing treatment summary care plans, education to patient and family on follow up schedule and communication to healthcare team. Assist with maintaining follow up schedule and address late and long-term effects through continual needs assessments. (Quality/Safety)
* Demonstrates highly developed assessment, clinical, documentation, and analytical skills; integrates and contributes to professional practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols. (Quality/Safety)
* Plans for routine events and anticipates/prevents and resolves emergent situations. (Quality/Safety)
* Contributes to meeting programmatic targets for quality and safety measures on unit-based scorecard. (Quality/Safety)
* Develops strong relationships with physicians, their office staff, community resources and healthcare providers to assure effective communication in patient care. Serves as a liaison between clinical specialists, primary care physicians and patients. (People)
* Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all health care team members; mentors other staff in effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication. (People)
* Ensures that self and other staff members promote effective and efficient communication with patients and families, using a structured format. Acts as a mentor and role model to staff members regarding effective communication. (Quality/Safety)
* Submits activity reports and patient update reports monthly to Department Director.(Quality/Safety)
* Performs as a role model and mentors other staff/team members in developing therapeutic relationships with patients and families. (Service)
* Manages assignment of complex patients and other program demands. (Quality/Safety)
* Active member of program specific committees, collaborating with the appropriate program personnel on data analysis and program initiatives. (People)
* Work with the Business Development Department to coordinate relationships with external/ referring physicians for the program. (People)
* Supportive of change initiatives. Adapts to unexpected changes. Acts as effective change agent. (Growth/Innovation)
* Anticipates needs of other team members; proactively offers assistance. (People)
* Implements risk assessments and healthcare pathways for the program based on the developmental stages of the patient. Serves as a resource to interdisciplinary staff in the care of population specific patients. (Quality/Safety)
* Maintains relationship with community organizations to help coordinate available of support services for patients. Educate patients, family, staff and community on support services available. (People)
* Contributes to oversight of grant funding for community outreach initiatives; participates in decisions impacting operational and capital needs. (Finance)
* Identifies, presents and leads areas for improvement in patient care or program operations and works in collaboration with teams to provide solutions by participating in program projects and shared governance activities. (Growth/ Innovation)
* Audits adherence to program and hospital initiatives. (Quality/Safety)
* Reports near misses as well as errors promptly and consistently to improve systems and processes and identify trends. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (Quality/Safety)
* Recommends and leads improvements in patient safety-related processes at unit or service line level. (Quality/Safety)
* EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE/RESEARCH
* Reads and leads critique of evidence-based practice literature in nursing and related disciplines. (Innovation/Growth)
* Identifies opportunity for practice changes. Researches the change and presents solutions to shared governance and leadership. Leads the change and performance improvement initiative. (Quality/Safety)
* Contributes to development of service line and hospital standards and guidelines; implements and monitors service line initiatives that improve designated core measure compliance. (Quality/Safety)
* STAFF EDUCATION
* Expands own nursing knowledge and serves as instructor in continuing education or formal program and expert consultation; coaches staff to grow in knowledge, abilities, skills, and attitudes. (Growth/Innovation)
* PROFESSIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS
* Maintains level of professional contributions as defined in Clinical Career Path program guide.
* Attends national/regional/local conferences pertinent to the program and the Patient Navigator RN III Role.
* Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.