Patient Services Coord. II 9/19/2017
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Supports the academic and clinical practice for a multidisciplinary clinic. Practice is inclusive of Obesity Medicine physicians, Surgeons, Psychologists and Registered Dietitians. Duties include: scheduling patients for initial appointments with providers and gathering necessary prior authorizations for bariatric surgery.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. In conjunction with the Staff Assistant III, works as a New Patient Scheduler.
* Utilizing EPIC Work Queues, schedules patients on the referral list for in person or online orientation.
* Utilizing EPIC Work Queues, follows up with patients after orientation (online or in person) to schedule New patient appointments, schedules new adult and pediatric patients.
* Answers patient questions regarding the care offered at the center and how to become a patient here.
* With help from the Staff Assistant III, schedules the providers to speak at in person orientations.
* Triages telephone calls and messages, directing calls to appropriate individuals.
* Schedules return patient office appointments, as needed, may include scheduling for more than one facility.
* Re-schedules any canceled appointments in a timely manner as directed.
* Other administrative functions as needed and special projects for the providers.
2. In conjunction with the Surgical Schedulers (PSCIIIs), works to gather prior authorizations for bariatric surgeries.
* Submits full and accurate prior authorization information for all bariatric procedures performed by the MGH Weight Center surgeons either online or viz fax.
* Follows up on authorization requests and informs patients of progress through the insurance system.
* Updates the Surgical Schedulers on the progress of the prior authorizations and adds notes regarding the request in EPIC and Outlook.
* Understands all HMO, Managed Care and other Third Party Insurers. Functions as a resource for patients around managed care plans, insurance and referral issues, with an ability to perform electronic insurance verification. Obtains insurance approvals for bariatric surgeries. Functions as subject matter expert of payer requirements for surgery for providers.
* Understands financial services and self-pay resources and provides patients with information as needed.
* Triages and manages more complex telephone calls, utilizing courteous customer service skills.
* Assists in covering the needs of surgical patients with the Surgical Schedulers.
3. Maintains neat and clean work areas.
* Assures work and patient care areas are neat, clean and professional looking.
* Assures the practice is properly stocked, equipped and secured as applicable.
* Assures all equipment is in good working order and if not takes active steps to make sure equipment is repaired or replaced.
4. Promotes patient/customer satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner consistent with their needs.
* Adheres to Human Resources policies with respect to attendance and dress code.
* Adheres to MGH customer service philosophy in all patient interactions.
* Communicates appropriately and effectively with patients.
5. Functions as an integral part of the patient care team.
* Interacts in a professional, cooperative way with other practice staff.
* Accepts delegated responsibilities in a positive manner.
* Offers help to others in the practice when not busy.
* Ensures adequate coverage is available and communicates to others in the practice (MA, RN, etc.).
* Engages in constructive problem solving with others in the practice as problems arise.
* Attends and participates in practice staff meetings.
6. Works on special projects as directed.
In collaboration with the supervisor, identifies and meets learning needs. Completes annual required training and updates knowledge through periodic in-services.
Minimum 3 years healthcare experience.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Exceptional organizational skills Ability to work independently or in a team environment
Function as a resource to patients, staff and providers
Must be very reliable and able to function productively with minimal supervision
Excellent interpersonal and strong customer service skills required.
Sound judgment and problem-solving ability
Ability to prioritize
Accuracy and attention to detail
Ability to multi task and prioritize workflow in a fast paced, heavy volume practice
Must have strong written and verbal communication skills
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.