PHLEBOTOMY TECHICIAN I / 20 HOURS / DAY / BWH - PATHOLOGY
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/10/2017
END DATE 2/28/2018
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Greets patients, processes paperwork and specimens, and logs all tests into the computer. Performs venipuncture on all patients to include: young adults (ages 14 20), adults (ages 20 65), and geriatrics ( 65).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Greets patients arriving in the Phlebotomy station.
2. Logs into the computer, all tests checked off on the requisition, making certain all pertinent information and comments are included in the process.
3. Performs venipuncture on populations defined above, using proper aseptic technique.
4. Produces bar code labels to affix to specimens after collection. Makes certain that specimens are appropriately labeled and collected. Prepares samples for transport to the laboratory in accordance with established policies.
5. Maintains correct paperwork and procedures specific to Outreach Phlebotomy Station.
6. Prepares the blood drawing area for patients, making certain an appropriate inventory of supplies is maintained. Maintains the phlebotomy area and makes certain that the bathroom is in a clean and orderly manner.
7. Performs all necessary paperwork and clerical duties needed for the area. Prints daily patient reports and delivers them to each physician.
8. Serves as liaison between the Clinical Labs and the on-site physicians and patients to resolve lab problems and patient billing problems.
9. Responsible for maintaining a safe work area and adhering to all safety, Infection Control, and OSHA guidelines and policies.
10. Is responsible to be aware of JCAHO National Patient Safety Goals and to compile with BWH Hospital and Laboratory polices and procedures.
11. Performs all other duties as required.
1. High School diploma required.
2. One to two years prior work experience as a phlebotomist.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1. Must have good communication skills and the ability to make the patient relaxed and comfortable.
2. Must have knowledge of appropriate sites for drawing blood and must have good phlebotomy skills.
3. Must have ability to work well in a fast paced environment.
4. Must have good organization skills and be flexible to adjust schedule in accordance with the needs of the laboratory.
5. Must have the ability to interpret laboratory requisitions.
1. Extremely busy laboratory.
2. Exposure to infectious bloods and body fluids.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.