Principal Infrastructure Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2017
END DATE 11/18/2017
The Advisory Board Company
Principal Infrastructure Engineer
Technology and Engineering
Engineering & ETech
Share | |Email this job
PRINCIPAL INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER *LI
The Advisory Board Company
EAB is seeking a Principal Infrastructure Engineer to join the Product Operations team, headquartered in downtown Washington, DC. This individual will help build and support the infrastructure powering EAB s commercial products running in AWS. This position will play a key role in facilitating the organization s rapid growth by designing and implementing Amazon Web Services (AWS) -based network and security models for multiple, integrated products, as well as finalizing migration from a co-located data center.
This opportunity is located in Washington, DC.
WHAT YOU\'LL BE DOING:
- Work with the Chief Architect to maintain and enhance EAB s AWS footprint including account management, network structure, reference architectures for different workloads
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the AWS infrastructure
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise participate in root cause analysis and work to prevent future occurrences
- Work with development teams to design and evaluate application architectures or enhancements, and find best-of-breed tools and processes for developer productivity
- Define, document, and enforce infrastructure standards
- Monitor infrastructure health and performance to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security
- Act as an escalation point for junior staff and product operations
- Mentor junior staff
- Lead project efforts through full lifecycle, including requirements gathering, scoping, implementation, and operational handoff
- 7+ years of professional experience in large scale enterprise and/or hosted environments
- Experience in administration of Linux servers
- Hands-on experience with AWS infrastructure, including VPC and network structure, IAM-based security models, logging and auditing, as well as high-level familiarity with a broad range of AWS services.
- Strong working knowledge of web application technologies (multi-tier web application architecture, common protocols like TLS/HTTPS) and related AWS services
- Demonstrated ability to automate tasks through scripting technologies
- Experience in a 24x7x365 data center and with cloud/SaaS technologies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, along with collaborative team skills
- Excellent developer relation skills
- Ability to think critically and solve complex issues
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot networking and server issues using appropriate monitoring and diagnostic tools
- Ability to prioritize across multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Experience working with classified information such as HIPPA, SOX, and financial data
- Able to work scheduled and on-call rotations (rotation will include weekends and holidays)
- Requires some physical labor; must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- A bachelor s, or higher, degree in a technical field
- 8+ years experience implementing and supporting fault tolerant, highly available applications in a multi-tier, multi-tenant environment
- Experience supporting database servers, including bot PostgreSQL, and MySQL
- Hands on security experience pen-testing networks and applications
- Hands on experience with Python, Ansible, and CloudFormation as automation tools
ABOUT EDUCATION ADVISORY BOARD
EAB is a best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,100+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value. For more information, visit www.eab.com.
We are a workplace that...
Values and celebrates diversity of experience, culture, and opinion
Is committed to creating an inclusive environment to enhance our collective experience
Promotes a supportive community through staff-led affinity groups, events, and education
OUR CULTURE & VALUES:
We think Forbes said it best: Making the world a better place is what The Advisory Board Company is all about. We have a unique culture where employees are told to avoid after work emails, encouraged to take 10 hours per month of paid leave for community service, and are expected to add surplus value in every interaction with a member or colleague.
Over the past thirty years, we have developed a distinctive corporate culture based on our values and principles. We award, promote, and praise based on individual performance, capabilities, and ambition. We provide ways for staff to share their time, talent, and passions in the community. We reward innovation and foster a collaborative environment. We have a performance-driven staff and peers that challenge one another in the workplace. And we want free-thinkers, agile speakers, witty writers, and team players to join the firm at Advisory Board, your ideas are heard and your contributions matter.
PERKS (A FEW OF MANY):
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, The Advisory Board Company offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days paid time off and 10+ paid company holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
LEARN ABOUT US
CONNECT WITH US
Community Impact Twitter
The Advisory Board Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.