This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/12/2017
END DATE 4/26/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION:
Position Description/Responsibilities: This Principal Technician position will support our commercial roofing research group. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Blending and formulation of coatings and adhesives
* Performing mechanical property (such as tensile, tear performance) tests on experimental materials.
* Analyze materials utilizing equipment such as the FTIR, SEM, Fluorescence microscopes, DSR, etc.
* Responsible for managing/conducting lab studies, directing their progress, maintaining lab records & reporting updates per accepted research lab practices & GAF protocols.
* Carrying out accelerated aging studies.
* Aid in the improvement of product performance or reduction of cost by screening raw materials and additives, conducting lab work studies, developing new test methods with written SOPs, and accepting special assignments as they arise.
* Assist in investigations of product & process problems related to raw materials and process upsets.
* Preparation of JSA and SOP documentation as needed.
* AS or BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science.
* 1 to 4 years working in an industrial laboratory environment.
* General knowledge of polymers and chemicals as well as well as exposure to process operations is preferred. Statistical analysis experience or green belt certification preferred.
* Hands-on knowledge with mechanical testing equipment.
* Experience in a product development environment.
* Experience with coatings and batch formulation is preferred.
* Experience in roofing or building materials also a plus
* Must work safely, being safety conscious at all times.
* Must be a self-starter, and able to work independently, as well as be a team player.
* Must have strong problem solving skills.
* Must be capable of communicating effectively in written and verbal form
* Must work cooperatively with corporate personnel, customers, vendors, plant staff, and teammates and demonstrate good interpersonal skills.
* Must be capable of writing technical reports.
* Must be capable of lifting objects up to 50 pounds.
* Must be organized and neat and maintain the lab in that condition.
* Be able to travel occasionally.
At GAF, we believe our employees are our greatest resource. We offer competitive salary, benefits, 401k and vacation package for all full-time permanent positions. GAF is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer-sponsored visa (work permit).