This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/19/2017
END DATE 2/7/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION:
This Principal Technician position is in support of our commercial roofing research group. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Blending and formulation of membrane and adhesive compounds, including polymers, asphalts and additives.
* Performing mechanical property (such as tensile, tear performance) tests on experimental materials.
* Responsible for managing/conducting lab studies, directing their progress, maintaining lab records & reporting updates per accepted research lab practices & GAF protocols.
* Responsible for determining & performing all math calculations related to various tasks.
* Aid in the improvement of product performance or reduction of cost by screening raw materials and additives, conducting lab work studies, developing new test methods with written SOPs, and accepting special assignments as they arise.
* Assist in investigations of product & process problems related to raw materials and process upsets.
* Carrying out accelerated aging studies. Responsible for the preparation & shipment of chemicals/goods.
* Responsible for working safely and paying attention to safety of self and others.
* Maintaining work areas in good, clean, and neat condition.
* Preparation of JSA and SOP documentation as needed.
* Other special projects as needed
Knowledge of analytical characterization and testing methods. AS or BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science or Materials Science Engineering, coupled with a minimum of 1 to 4 years working in an industrial laboratory environment. Good chemical and or materials knowledge and some processing knowledge are preferred. Statistical analysis or green belt certification preferred.
Must work safely, being safety conscious at all times. Must be a self-starter, and able to work independently, as well as be a team player. Must have strong problem solving skills, and demonstrate productivity. Must be capable of communicating effectively in written and verbal form and working cooperatively with corporate personnel, customers, vendors, plant staff, and teammates with strong interpersonal skills. Must be competent in use of Microsoft Office for summarizing work/key conclusions and preparing reports. Must be capable of lifting objects up to 50 pounds.
* Experience with polymers, extrusion, colorants, coatings is a plus.
* Experience in roofing or building materials a plus
* Proven experience of physical/mechanical testing of materials.
* Ability to work with intermittent supervision, receiving general guidance typically on a weekly basis.
* Proven experience at analyzing data, issuing reports with conclusions, and giving presentations to teams.
* Must have proven ability to work with people outside of immediate work area.
* Proven ability to problem solving and improve processes and procedures.
* Be able to travel occasionally.
* Demonstrated working knowledge of analytical equipment (FTIR, GPC, DSR, Thermal/Surface analysis)
* Hands-on knowledge with mechanical testing equipment.
* Experience/training in materials and polymer science.
* Proven experience handling industrial scale equipment.
* Experience in a product development environment.
* Experience working in or with a manufacturing location.
* Some knowledge of statistics and quality control designs or design of experiments.
At GAF, we believe our employees are our greatest resource. We offer competitive salary, benefits, 401k and vacation package for all full-time permanent positions. GAF is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer-sponsored visa (work permit).