Product Development Technician 10/10/2017
Stevens Point, WI
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Tracking Code
Successful applicant will join the Stevens Point mill team and provide technical support to product development, quality and manufacturing of specialty paper grades.
* Perform work safely; maintain a safe and orderly work area along with engaging self and others in safety related activities.
* Thorough understanding of paper making, paper testing and test methods.
* Technical understanding of wet strength, label and technical and flexible packaging product segments.
* Subject matter expert in PVR (Process Variability Reductions).
* Expected to be an active participant/leader in PVR and in gap closing initiatives.
* Prepare samples for testing according to established test specifications.
* Perform work utilizing lab equipment, chemicals, raw materials, etc.
* Assist in training mill personnel in implementing new test procedures along with new chemical safety training.
* Contribute input in the development of new tests.
* Provide relief for other specialists and department heads as required.
* Interact and provide direction to customer service, technical field support, and manufacturing.
* Possess organizational skills to maintain coating database.
* Understand cost/benefit relationship of paper coating additives along with the individual functional properties of coating components.
* Understand compatibility of different paper coating to minimize environmental loss.
* Ability to interact with vendors with respect to new products and materials along with technical support.
* Follow defined protocols for bringing new chemicals into the mill.
* Interact with customers on new product and complaint resolution projects.
* Independently organize and run product trials.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
* Strong project management and organization skills.
* Drive to produce results.
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Data handling skills (Word, Excel, SAP, etc.)
* Be able to work in a standing position for an extended length of time, climb stairs and lift up to 50 lbs.
* Ability to operate motor vehicle and travel to other mills.
* Work beyond normal work schedule as necessary to fulfill position responsibilities.
* Able to work weekend duty
Normal Work Schedule Includes: Monday through Friday with weekend rotation (currently 1 in 7).
* Bachelor s Degree in chemistry, biology, mathematics or related field.
* 2+ years of related experience in relevant technician applications.
* Systems savvy with proficiency in MS Office - Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access and Minitab.
* Ability and willingness to expand technical expertise in other areas of the mill.
Verso Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Stevens Point, Wisconsin, United States