Program Manager Finance 9/19/2017
Northwestern Memorial Healthcare
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Reporting to the Director Decision Support, is responsible for managing and performing the costing process, utilizing the enterprise performance management system StrataJazz in order to provide accurate and timely reporting and transparency with respect to Northwestern Medicine cost structure. Insight from cost accounting will facilitate decision-making related to service line growth opportunities and identification of cost savings opportunities. This role is responsible for all activities related to the use, improvement and maintenance of the cost accounting system. Works collaboratively with peers and interdisciplinary teams to support enterprise strategic, operational, and financial goals. This position is a key resource to senior leadership and service line management and will liaison frequently with a variety of corporate and operational departments.
The Finance Program Manager will accomplish department objectives by developing positive working relationships with both colleagues and consultancies to support the financial and operational objectives of NM. The Finance Program Manager will be tasked with planning and overseeing completion of a full range of department activities. The Finance Program Manager will need to understand complex financial and accounting requirements/concepts in a fast paced environment. Meet departmental objectives by overseeing completion of the full range of department assignments.
Establish department goals, forecast requirements, prepare an annual budget, schedule expenditures, analyze variances, and initiate appropriate corrective actions. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Review, edit, and enhance work prepared by members of the finance team.
Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends as needed. Deliver and communicate monthly results of operations to senior leadership, finance leadership and operational leadership as needed. Maintain quality service standards as well as analyzing and resolving quality and customer service problems, identifying trends, and recommending and implementing system improvements. Research and understand changes in the regulatory environment in order to determine appropriate treatment as needed.
Demonstrates knowledge in computer applications such as knowledge in databases, spreadsheets and word processing applications in a high complexity environment. Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, adopting and implementing industry best practices, and participating in professional societies. Protect operations by keeping financial and patient information confidential. Support the Northwestern Medicine finance operation as an integrated team leader. EOE Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Creates processes and internal controls to maintain, update process and operate an accurate cost accounting system;
* Produces a regular and timely series of formal cost reports for leadership that reflects system-wide service line performance, as well as individual hospital-based service line performance;
* Develops, continually improves and drives the promotion of service line reporting to inform profitability, improve costing processes, inform business plans and promote improved decision making across the system;
* Collaborates with revenue and reimbursement teams to compare, align and reconcile methods used for cost accounting with those used for governmental cost reporting, where appropriate;
* Provides analytical support for interdisciplinary teams in the valuation of new businesses and other opportunities related to the strategic planning process in relation to costing data;
* Provides cost data and helps develop targets to achieve cost savings as the organization moves from fee for service to value based, global and bundled payments; analyzes service line reimbursement metrics to the payer detail level;
* Provides leadership with useful cost decision support analytics and reports to facilitate control and reduction in resource costs;
* Provides support to operational leaders on data interpretation, variance analysis of data, trends and issues related to costing data;
* Works collaboratively with service line directors and operational managers to identify cost savings opportunities. Conducts comprehensive and in-depth research to reconcile cost anomalies and variances. Identifies system, processes, and workflow issues and recommends process improvements that result in greater accuracy of data capture and reports;
* Work with Revenue Integrity, Clinical & Operational Leaders to develop and maintain department specific and/or system-wide RVUs for accurate cost allocations. More specifically partner with departments to establish efficient RVU management processes;
* Maintains a formal process for accurate cost accounting methodologies for indirect expense allocations, re-class, and other cost accounting drivers with support from the Director Decision Support and program leaders. Working with the Director Decision Support, manages the work streams necessary to create and refine allocation methodologies using data/statistics for hospital overhead departments;
* Monitors and reports on costing relationship that requires additional review and investigation; coordinates all phases of the review and resolution of issues identified;
* Conducts data system audits and reconciliations for accuracy and completeness;
* Liaisons with DSS Systems Team on technical issues related to the cost accounting system module. With DSS Systems Team, oversees relevant system development of the cost accounting module.
* Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
* 5+ years of experience with accounting concepts, budget processes, analytics and planning, service line profitability, forecasting concepts;
* Experience with and knowledge of enterprise decision support systems and enterprise resource planning systems (payroll, accounts payable, general ledger, and supply chain modules);
* Ability to think strategically and understand operational systems that provide patient care;
* Strong analytical skills with ability to collect, organize, synthesize and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy;
* Ability to present and explain complex financial data to diverse audiences;
* Ability to exercise a high degree of initiative, judgment, discretion and decision making to achieve organizational objectives;
* Ability to create and work in a strong team atmosphere;
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills; collegial presence with ability to gain cooperation and influence others;
* Well organized thought process, coupled with an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively and efficiently with strict deadlines;
* Familiarity with and commitment to quality/process innovation and improvement concepts and techniques.
* Certified Managerial Accountant (CMA) preferred
* Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
* Master's degree preferred
* Healthcare finance experience
* Experience using with project management, DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control) methodologies
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender