Proposal Manager 9/19/2017
ENGIE North America Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The world needs energy professionals who see the big picture. At OpTerra, we offer careers that empower dedicated individuals to work with a dynamic team across many fields from engineering and sustainable design, to business development, financing, and marketing. If you want to be part of a large, supportive organization where your voice will be heard, join us to power a brighter energy future together.
OpTerra is a pioneer in advancing the sustainable energy economy, energizing opportunity and building positive impact for the communities, institutions, and businesses we serve.
As a subsidiary of ENGIE, the number one energy efficiency services provider in the world, OpTerra Energy Services provides a unique and extensive set of energy and sustainability management services to thousands of customers across the U.S. We have helped our partners achieve over $2 billion in energy savings to date while delivering positive environmental and community impact in the diverse regions in which we work.
The ideal candidate shall possess skills that include proposal management, proposal writing and proposal layout/design. We are looking for a progressive thought leader with a thorough knowledge of proposal development that delivers immediate business impact.
* Manages all activities involved in the development and revision of OpTerra new business proposals, customer bid documents such as RFP, RFQ and RFIs (collectively known as RFXs) and unsolicited customer proposals.
* Work closely with sales, project managers, engineering, marketing, and other OpTerra employees to compose, edit, and produce sales proposals, qualification packages, preliminary reports, and presentations.
* Provide guidance and expertise to subject matter experts and proposal team members on various proposal sections, to include executive summaries, technical responses, project teams, management plans, past performance write-ups, cost and pricing sections and resumes.
* Meet proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review and approval of documents, monitoring status of deliverables, coordinating requirements with contributors, reporting proposal status information in review meetings, and delivering proposals.
* Participate in, and in some cases lead, the creation and continuous improvement of documentation required for proposals, presentations, and marketing materials. This may include developing graphics, improved formatting, and narrative content.
* Populate the initial RFX response draft using newly created content and existing content and customizing them to match requirements in the RFX (i.e. references, experience, etc.).
* Ensure quality assurance for all documents and materials, compliance with proposal requirements, corporate identity compliance, high-quality graphics, and accurate content. Maintain quality throughout draft, editorial, and production phases.
* Effectively communicates proposal generation process to all stakeholders and contributes ideas that improve processes and deliverables.
* Develops a Responsibility Matrix that communicates team member (OpTerra and/or partners) responsibilities to ensure timely development and delivery of proposals and all customer deliverables.
* Ensures adequate resources are available to support proposal development and production efforts including purchasing, legal, contract administration, safety, engineering, EMG and admin support as required to prepare the proposal.
* Work with Business Development team to create a winning value proposition strategy using consistent messaging, customer hot button themes, and compelling content that aligns with customers requirements, evaluation criteria and OpTerra style guidelines.
* Reviews/rewrites proposal content and coordinates proposal reviews with management and other stakeholders.
* Create and maintain documentation templates and style guides.
* Create and maintain a proposal library both hard copy and electronic. Maintain accurate records of each proposal for detailed reporting.
* Assists in the coordination, organization, and integrity of shared electronic files including templates, style guides, graphics, and other proposal components.
* Copy and edit proposals and related documents, and assist with final proposal production.
* Manage final document editing including:
* Tighten writing, delete redundant and unnecessary copy
* Ensure document headings and graphics labeling are accurate
* Correct errors and inconsistencies in grammar, syntax, style, punctuation, etc.
* Manage multiple projects concurrently, meet all proposal deliverable deadlines, and maintain a production schedule.
* Tracks and updates RFX response status.
* Creates, updates and maintains proposal templates, procedures and tools that facilitate accurate and timely proposal development.
* Work with proposal automation software, PMAPs, primarily for content management and status reporting.
* Obtain feed-back from projects for "lessons learned to incorporate in future proposals and proposal generation processes.
* Establish overall best practices with the organization for bid proposals and drive the usage of those practices throughout entire organization.
* Maintain and improve brand integrity through all written documentation.
* Continually improve and demonstrate best practices to peers, clients, and organization.
* May be required to work non-traditional work hours to accommodate workload and delivery of deadline-driven proposals.
* Draft process/procedural documents.
* Perform assigned writing and design tasks for non-proposal projects.
* Conduct, synthesize, and summarize research on designated topics.
* Responsible to complete additional job duties as assigned by Management.
* Other tasks as assigned by Manager.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
* B.S. or B.A. in a related field (Marketing, Journalism, Communication, English, or related) and 5 year(s) of proposal management experience
* 3-5 years of experience writing proposals and content messaging for a construction, energy services firm, architect services firm, or similar company
* 5 years of demonstrated experience writing and editing technical documentation with hands-on proposal management/writing experience, including RFX responses, qualification packages, proposals, and presentations is required. Experience with an Energy Service Company (ESCO) is a plus.
* Superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills with an ability to grasp and communicate technical concepts is required.
* High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop is required. Experience with developing high quality graphics is a plus.
* Outstanding oral and written communication skills
* Ability to motivate the team to maintain a strong sense of urgency while consistently producing high quality work.
* Solid experience managing and coordinating activities of writers and production staff, editing written material, writing new material, proofreading and performing quality check of proposals, under tight deadline constraints
* Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadline requirements with minimal supervision.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Demonstrated leadership and engagement skills providing strategic recommendations
* Solid active listening skills
* Collateral, PowerPoint and Communications material development
* Innovative thinker with market relevant creativity fusing right brain creativity and left brain organization and focus.
* Ability to turn challenging situations into forward moving strategies and collateral/proposal development
* Superior writing and editing skills, including comprehensive knowledge of grammar and syntax
* Solid design skill set, including knowledge of InDesign or like design tools
* Ability to