Protection & Control Tech 2/C 9/16/2017
Duquesne Light Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Duquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
FSLA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
Starting rate: $33.31
No. of positions: 1
Under semi-direct supervision, checks and calibrates simpler types of relays such as overloads, reverse power, reclosing and supervisory. Calibrates ammeters, voltmeters, and other switchboard instruments. Makes minor checks and adjustments on electronic equipment. Assists higher-rated employees in performing skilled work of a technical nature involving the construction, maintenance, and operation of all types of electrical equipment, protection, control, and related systems.
* Test and calibrate simple relays, systems and switchboard instruments associated with 4KV equipment and below. This includes the issuance of Clearance Permits as required for crew's own work, but does not include high voltage switching.
* Assist higher rated Technicians to perform the duties of the higher job rate.
* Perform control wiring, cable pulling and conduit installation where the work does not require the issuance of Clearance Permits.
* Design and make tags using thermal printer and computer (or similar devices).
* Perform all work in accordance with established safety regulations and practices.
* Must participate in Company sponsored training related to all types of electrical equipment, protection, control, related systems and peripheral equipment.
* During emergency situations, work with other DLC personnel or escort other personnel and contractors as assigned. This does not include the issuing or signing on and off of Clearance Permits.
* Prepare necessary reports and records as assigned, either on hard copy or directly into work management systems.
* Perform other related work as required or assigned.
Education / Experience Requirements:
* Requires Asscoiates Degree in electronics from an approved technical school, or an ABET - Accredited Asscoiates Degree in Electrical Engineering Techology (EET) or a Bachelor's Degree in EET, or a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering.
* Must pass the Second Class Protection and Control Technician qualifying examination.
* Must have a demonstrated knowledge of computers and computer systems, electrical and electronic theory, and Duquesne Light safety rules, operating practices and pertinent environmental regulations,
* Must have a basic knowledge of Substation safety rules and operating practices, print reading and traffic safety.
* Must possess an appropriate driver's license and the required endorsements associated with the job requirements.
* Must have the ability to develop and maintain an expertise in electrical equipment, protection, control, peripheral equipment and related systems function, operation, and use so as to be in a position to exercise correct judgment when working individually or with others in order to maintain system capacity and reliability.
* Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light's commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.