3rd shift Medical Laboratory Technician - Generalist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/25/2016
END DATE 10/25/2016
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN I performs laboratory analyses and tests. Prepares samples, sets up instruments, runs tests and reads, interprets and releases results. May perform variety of customer service activities for internal and external customers.
THIS IS A FULL TIME (40 HR/WK), THIRD SHIFT POSITION WITH HOURS MONDAY- FRIDAY 11:30PM TO 8:00AM AND ROTATING SATURDAYS 9:00PM TO 5:30AM.
Specializes in one or more of the following areas:
* Testing cell-related components of blood samples to enumerate and identify their cellular components, including the microscopic evaluation of blood smears and the use of automated and manual counting techniques.
* Analysis and evaluation of chemical and microscopic components of urine samples, using automated instrumentation and manual techniques.
* Testing blood and body fluids for various analytes, utilizing automated instrumentation.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Sets up and runs lab tests.
* Reads and releases test results.
* Tests performed may be more routine and less complex.
* Exercises judgment in evaluating and reporting results in consultation with veterinarians/pathologists and others.
* Performs equipment maintenance activities.
* Knowledge of lab equipment and procedures.
* Awareness of quality control and calibration.
* Developing knowledge of multiple specialties.
* Works under close to moderate supervision with limited latitude for independent judgment.
* Consult with senior peers on non-complex tasks to learn through experience.
* Normally receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new assignments.
* Basic skills and proficiency (may sacrifice speed for accuracy until proficiency grows).
* Applies job skills and lab policies and procedures to complete a variety of tasks.
* Works on tasks that are semi-routine in nature where ability to recognize deviation from accepted practice is required.
* May be cross trained and perform specimen processing responsibilities.
* RELIABLE AND DEPENDABLE ATTENDANCE IS AN ESSENTIAL FUNCTION OF THE POSITION. ADHERENCE TO ATTENDANCE-RELATED POLICIES AND EXPECTATIONS IS CRITICAL TO THIS POSITION.
* Adheres to and models the IDEXX Purpose & Guiding Principles.
* Performs other duties as assigned
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. is a leader in pet healthcare innovation, serving practicing veterinarians around the world with a broad range of diagnostic and information technology-based products and services. IDEXX products enhance the ability of veterinarians to provide advanced medical care, improve staff efficiency and build more economically successful practices. IDEXX is also a worldwide leader in providing diagnostic tests and information for livestock and poultry and tests for the quality and safety of water and milk. Headquartered in Maine, IDEXX Laboratories employs more than 6,000 people and offers products to customers in over 175 countries.
* High School Diploma or equivalent required, 2, 3 or 4 year degree in Science-related field preferred.
* Typically 0-1 years experience.
* Certification as a Veterinary Technician (RVT, LVT, CVT - Registered, Licensed or Certified through American Veterinary Medical Association accredited program-AVMA) or Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) (American Society of Clinical Pathology-ASCP), Histotechnician for histology-specific (HT) (ASCP) or military equivalent a plus.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Laboratory skills, with experience setting up, running and reading lab tests and operating lab instruments.
* General science background, including hematology/chemistry helpful.
* Attention to detail.
* Organized with ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
* Communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Positive, can-do attitude.
* Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) as appropriate.
* Supervisory skills, if a lead position.
* Personal computer skills, including strong typing ability and proficient use of Microsoft Office.
* Extensive sitting, phone and computer use.
* Capable of standing continuously for up to 2 hours.
* Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers.
* Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crouch.
* May be required to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
* Hearing acuity sufficient to effectively communicate with customers and Employees via telephone and in person.
* Ability to communicate verbally on phone and in person.
* Fluency in the English language.
* Extended hours may be required.
* Some travel required.
* Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present.
* Potential for exposure to agents known to cause zoonotic disease in humans and use of potentially hazardous chemicals as defined by the National Hazard Communication Standards. A complete list of such chemicals is available from department supervision.
No unsolicited Employment Agency resumes are accepted.