Research Associate II
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/10/2017
END DATE 1/20/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
The Research Associate II is responsible for providing advanced technical research skills and establishing test methods and procedures under the direction of Department Chairperson or Scientist (Faculty)
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation. Please include estimated % weighting for each Pillar.
PEOPLE -20 %
1. Oversees a team of Research Assistants and Post Docs 0-2, and participants from other HMHRI labs.
2. Assigns and reviews work of research project staff.
SERVICE - 30%
1. Plans, directs and coordinates laboratory research projects (medium to high complexity)
2. Completes/performs research and incorporates novel procedures and methods into ressearch experiments as appropriate.
3. Analyze data for research grants and publications (medium to high complexity)
4. Reviews scientific literature.
QUALITY/SAFETY - %
1. Establishes and maintains quality control of poject operations.
2. Writes and maintains regulatory and safety committee applications/protocols
3. Keeps good records of all procedures and outcomes.
4. Adheres to and assists with customizing of TMH and TMHRI Safety Procedures for Laboratory.
FINANCE - %
1. Plans and carefully designs experiments
2. Steward of Houston Methodist s resources and considers this for supply orders.
3. Keeps projects on required timelines
4. Researches best cost/quality options for supply orders
5. Assists with ensuring orders are on appropriate grants.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - %
1. Determines specific research project goals and objectives to be attained.
2. Prepares scientific presentations for departmental meetings.
3. Participates in grant writing.
4. Participates in publication writing as first author
5. Works toward writing specific aims and research plan independently.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Terminal degree with minimum 6 years experience
6 years experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Please list below the required Certifications, Licenses and Registrations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Please add additional knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential functions.
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities
Proficient in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
Demonstrates effective communication skills
Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
Activity Checklist attached (see below)
Ability to work in office setting, involving the use of office equipment and supplies. Ability to work in a laboratory and/or animal research facility. Work in animal research facility requires health evaluation and approval by the HMH Employee Health or HMH Wellness department.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials. APPLY.