This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/12/2017
END DATE 2/16/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION:
JOB DESCRIPTION - This Research Scientist position will be responsible for formulation and applications development in support of a new business area of traffic markings and coatings. The position will be based at our Charleston SC manufacturing facility, but will be reporting into Corporate R&D. You will work in a team there focusing on providing innovative solutions for the building waterproofing and traffic coatings industries. The position requires a high degree of competency in delivering innovative and competitively advantaged solutions to the market. Project assignments will be challenging, complex and demanding in nature and requires an independent productive person that can execute multiple projects in parallel.
* Plan and conduct research for the development and commercialization of new technologies and product concepts that provide differentiated performance in the marketplace.
* Develop innovative solutions directed towards improving coatings properties that enable improved performance, reduced cost and increased efficiency
* Be a key contributor within cross functional teams across R&D, Marketing, Sales and Manufacturing to scale up quickly from the lab to commercial scale.
* Provides technical support to Marketing, Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Sales.
* Establish fitness-for-use criteria for specific applications and reduce these to fundamental material characteristics using knowledge of structure-property-processing relationships
* Maintain understanding and serve as a resource for internal and external customers on market specific product, process technology, external technical community trends and the competitive intellectual property.
* Produce timely project updates, develops presentations, and report out to internal and external stakeholders.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS -PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
* Masters or Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemistry, or other relevant science discipline
* Minimum of 5 years of broad research experience in the formulation of industrial coatings
* Expert understanding of waterborne, solvent borne and reactive chemistries. Experience in the following areas is strongly preferred
* Waterborne acrylic, styrene acrylics, epoxy modified acrylics.
* Dry mix thermoplastic hot melts -maleic acid esters, tall oil or hydrocarbon based.
* Methyl methacrylate (MMA)-based coating chemistries
* Excellent critical thinking, problem solving, organizational /interpersonal skills
* Experience with design of experiment methodologies (DOE).
* Highly motivated and a self-starter
* Must possess strong communication (written and verbal) skills
At GAF, we believe our employees are our greatest resource. We offer competitive salary, benefits, 401k and vacation package for all full-time permanent positions. GAF is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer-sponsored visa (work permit).