Research Specialist I 9/20/2017
Loyola University Of Chicago
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY POSITION DETAILS
RESEARCH SPECIALIST I
Maywood-Health Sciences Division
IS THIS SPLIT AND/OR FULLY GRANT FUNDED*
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Implements experiments and performs lab techniques in accordance with and often under the direction of the PI. However, the candidate will also be expected to eventually gain autonomy in driving the scientific projects forward. Importantly, the successful candidate with have to train new scientists joining the lab in established protocols.
2. Independently performs experimental techniques and operates specialized equipment required for the project. May set up experimental design and lab technique. May assist in writing scientific manuscripts and presenting at meetings.
3. Performs in-depth analysis of experimental results. Performs literature searches on computer and retrieve literature from library. Assists in modifying specific protocols and methodology.
4. Monitors the inventory of essential lab supplies and may assist in ordering additional supplies when required. Maintains orderly records of purchases.
5. Ensures lab environment complies with safety regulations and may assume partial responsibility for safety in the lab. Maintains a safe and orderly lab environment.
6. Trains and provides oversight of medical and graduate students, junior lab staff, and other lab users.
7. Performs related duties as required.
**Candidates will be given preference will have knowledge of all or a subset of the following: microbiology (bacteriology) techniques, next generation sequencing, protein biochemistry, spectroscopy techniques, microscopy and in vivo and in vitro infection of cell lines (i.e. host pathogen interactions). Knowledge or expertise in structural biology (e.g. NMR or crystallographic techniques) will also be looked upon as strongly favorable. Our lab works with Streptococcus pneumoniae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa pathogens. Expertise in phagocyte isolation and assays having to do with host immunity-pathogen interactions are desired. Animal husbandry and experience in carrying out infection studies would also be very desirable.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND/OR WORK EXPERIENCE
Minimum Education: Required: Bachelors Degree Specify Degree(s): Molecular Biology, Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry Minimum Experience: Required: 3-5 years of previous job-related experience
Experience with microbiological, bacteriology and molecular biological techniques.
***Motivation for science, discovery, the ability to be independent and troubleshoot experiments in a timely manner are the key required skills in addition to:
-Ability to carry out experimentation independently, and report scientific conclusions to the PI -Ability to think and troubleshoot experiments independently
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to communicate verbally
- Ability to deal calmly and courteously with people
- Ability to finish tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and established procedures
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency
- Ability to organize workflow Ability to work as an effective team member
REQUIRED OPERATION OF UNIVERSITY OWNED VEHICLES
DOES THIS POSITION REQUIRE DIRECT ANIMAL OR PATIENT CONTACT*
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
QUICK LINK FOR POSTING