Senior Program Manager - Aerospace Short Course 10/10/2017
University of Kansas
Overland Park, KS
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Position Overview
KU Professional & Continuing Education, headquartered on the Edwards campus, operates in a self-supporting business environment while aligning with KU's academic, research and public service missions. KUPCE works collaboratively with all KU academic schools and departments to provide continuing professional education. Professional & Continuing Education programs serve all 105 Kansas counties, 50 U.S. states, and 61 nations.
The Aerospace Short Course Program, in the Professional Programs unit, develops and presents non-credit aerospace training to domestic and international markets through open enrollment, on-site and online course delivery. Open enrollment short courses are offered annually at designated locations in the United States and online through the KU learning management system. Courses can also be delivered upon request on-site at a company.
The Senior Program Manager (SPM) is a key management position in the unit and is responsible for business development activities in the Aerospace Short Course Program. The SPM works with instructors and clients to develop industry-academia partnerships. This person oversees development of new courses and forms business strategies by researching industry trends and representing the University of Kansas Professional & Continuing Education at conferences and trade shows worldwide.
Because KU Professional & Continuing Education operates in a self-supporting, entrepreneurial environment, the Senior Program Manager position requires a self-starting individual who is team oriented. The SPM must be a person who is open to new learning, patient with people and processes, yet committed to produce timely results. The SPM must be able to understand larger strategy and translate it to tactical solutions in a fast-paced environment and maintain focus and motivation during periods of uncertainty in program development.
35% - Business Development
* Represents the Aerospace Short Course Program by attending and presenting at national and international industry events and conferences.
* Provides leadership in the creation and management of an Aerospace Short Course Advisory Committee.
* Develops and maintains partnerships with academic, industry and governmental entities, which may include domestic or international travel.
* Works with the Director of Professional Programs and the Director of Marketing to develop and implement marketing strategies to promote the overall program and associated activities.
35% - Development of Aerospace Short Courses
* Researches and monitors global aerospace and aviation industry trends, and assists in the development of short course programs and customized training to meet the needs of the worldwide aerospace and aviation workforce.
* Leads new course development efforts of program management team which includes program and marketing staff, content development specialists and instructors.
* Conceptualizes online short courses and works with an instructional designer to develop educational programs; assess the results of such programs and make modifications as needed.
* Proposes, negotiates, contracts, and schedules onsite short courses and customized programs.
* Works with the director to monitor the export control process to ensure the development and delivery of content adhering to copyright and export control compliance.
* Works with the Business Specialist to develop cost proposals and budgets for customized and specialized training contracts.
* Plans and oversees the development and delivery of webinars.
15% - Team Management & Supervision
* Works with the director to organize and implement day-to-day operations of his/her team within the Professional Programs unit, including supervising, maintaining policies, practices, processes, budgets and outcomes of the Aerospace onsite offerings.
* Manages employee and team performance, develops annual goals and supporting training opportunities, counsels and motivates employees and provides annual and periodic evaluations.
10% - Onsite Course Management
* Travels to domestic and international locations to manage course implementation, acting as a representative of KU Professional & Continuing Education.
* Responsible for making independent decisions regarding unanticipated contingencies at both domestic and international locations.
5% - Other Duties as Assigned
* Serves on various committees, as assigned, and works in individual and team settings to accomplish overall Professional & Continuing Education program goals.
* Adheres to University of Kansas, KU Professional & Continuing Education and State of Kansas policies and procedures.
* Attends professional development activities.
* Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and five years of program management experience
* Three years experience in program budgeting
* Two years experience in business development
* Three years of supervisory experience
* Excellent written communication skills as evident in application submission
* Experience working with diverse individuals, including adult learners, instructors, administrators and professional groups
* Ability to work irregular hours including early mornings, evenings, and weekends
* Ability to travel domestically and internationally an average of one week per month
* Ability to lift 35 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation
* Master's Degree from an accredited institution
* Professional experience working in an engineering or technical field
* Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
* Knowledge of University of Kansas policies and facilities
* Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
* Experience in developing/delivering distance learning
* Experience working with international clients, including international business travel
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application consists of:
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
First review of applications has been extended and will begin Monday, October 30th, 2017 and will continue until a qualified pool is assembled.
Contact Information to Applicants
Stacy Cordell, Program Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Advertised Salary Range
$55,000 - $65,000
Application Review Begins
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policies_procedures/category_details/index.aspx*category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or email@example.com for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY