Senior Scientist for QC 9/20/2017
EMD Performance Materials
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY A career with EMD Performance Materials is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Performance Materials is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: We are looking for a Senior Scientist in the Quality Control department at our SAFC Hitech facility in Haverhill, MA. The role for this position includes the preparation and performance of investigation via ICP-OES, ICP-MS, NMR spectroscopy, IC, HPLC and Karl-Fischer Titration also the processing of data and documentation of the results. You are responsible for the quality test and release of all materials received and produced at our site as well as entering the data into our SAP QM system and for the creation of CoAs. One of your major tasks is the method development for sample preparation and analysis of our air sensitive and water reactive products. You will validate your analytical methods and accomplish project work, as well as attend technical national and international meetings where you will present your results. Use of complex and statistical methods in theory as well in practice are a requirement.
Who You Are:
Knowledge and Skills:
* Strong bachelor-level knowledge of inorganic, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry and the ability to handle water reactive and air sensitive materials in a safe manner (perform glovebox and fume operations)
* Plan, present and carry out method development for NMR, ICP-MS for trace metals, GC-MS and HPLC
* Strong understanding of NMR spectroscopy, ICP-OES and ICP-MS also their data processing
* Ability and eagerness to collaborate with both junior and senior scientists in order to expedite project completion.
* Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills and is eager to utilize these skills to collaborate with other departments.
* Ability to intelligently engage on a technical level with other junior and senior scientists.
* Collaborate with subject matter experts from multiple sites both in the US and internationally
* Experience in data and results presentation to diverse audiences (national and international)
* Ability to solve complex challenges by reviewing analytical data and identifying trends.
* Computer competencies: MS Office required
Role experience requirements:
* B.S. or higher in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or related science.
* Working experience within a Quality Control or Analytical Chemistry Department developing analytical methods using ICP-OES, ICP-MS, GCMS and HPLC
* Experience working with pyrophoric compounds in an industrial setting and the ability to design sample preparation for air sensitive water reactive products
* Create method validation protocols and DOE to meet specific criteria and in harmony with ISO9001 standards
* Comply with Corporate and local QMS standards
* Experience with OOC/OOS data analysis is a plus
* Present data and results to internal and external customers in a clear format compliant with corporate standards
* Ability to use critical thinking to solve complex problems with multiple variables
* A demonstrated ability to work independently and meet project deadlines
* Manage multiple projects in a fast pace business environment
* Willing to travel domestically and Internationally with a flexible schedule
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.