Spectrum News - Syracuse Internship - Spring 2018 10/11/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Spectrum News Syracuse (Central New York) is available on channels 1 and 200 exclusively on Spectrum for customers in the Central New York region including Syracuse, Ithaca, Utica, Watertown, Binghamton, Elmira and surrounding areas in upstate New York. Spectrum News Syracuse provides its coverage area with 24-hour local news, politics, features and weather seven days a week. The network provides a separate, customized program feed for customers in New York s Southern Tier. The 24-hour news channel shares content with its sister channels in the Spectrum News Networks family: Spectrum News channels in Albany, Hudson Valley, Buffalo, Rochester and New York City, New York; in Austin and San Antonio, Texas; in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh, North Carolina; in Tampa and Orlando, Florida.SUMMARY:We offer opportunities to students who are motivated and eager to learn about broadcast journalism and gain valuable experience in a newsroom environment. The following departments are looking for interns who will help plan, execute and coordinate various aspects of news media.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:News:Intern will learn one or more News Department positions, including, but not limited to Video journalist, Assignment Editor, and Associate Producer. As a Video journalist, the News Intern will learn some or all of the following functions: using creativity and imagination, and exercising strong professional news judgment, gathering information, conducting interviews, shooting videos, producing and reporting assigned stories and events on a daily basis. Intern will develop a functional knowledge in the use of field cameras, gear and editing systems. Must become proficient in photojournalism and video editing technique. As an Associate Producer, the News Intern will learn some or all of the following functions: write news stories for assigned newscasts that are factually accurate, fair and balanced in content, and written in a clear and concise conversational manner, and meeting required deadlines according to the producer s instructions. As an Assignment Editor, the News Intern will learn some or all of the following functions: assign news coverage/handles logistics of deploying news crews, gather and research story ideas through sources, beat calls, wire services, newspapers, magazines, web sites, radio and television news, and demonstrate sound news judgment in selecting and/or recommending stories.Sports:
- Responsible for learning to produce clear, concise and accurate sports segments and stories as assigned. Select and prepare graphics and editorial content.
- Assist in shooting and editing sports video and stories utilizing field cameras, gear and editing systems. Assist in developing and producing sports feature and franchise stories.
- Assist in producing weekly high school football show.
- Learn to archive video that will give the department easy access for future use.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of sports in cable viewing.
QUALIFICATIONS:Candidates for internships MUST:
- Receive academic credits for the internship assignment.
- Have strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication skills, leadership and organizational abilities.
- Maintain a professional appearance, be enthusiastic, and have a demonstrated interest in journalism and news.
- Be able to commit to interning approximately 16 hours per week.
- Coursework and previous internship experience in communications, journalism or related field is preferred.To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.APPLICATION PROCEDURES:Only applicants who apply online at https://jobs.spectrum.com/will be considered.Charter supports a drug-free environment