1st and 2nd Shift-Production Supervisor
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/23/2016
END DATE 11/17/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONMORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS JOB:
The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
Supervise production employees on assigned shift to ensure production guidelines are being met within established timing, quality, and cost standards. This position has emphasis on semi-skilled and skilled operations, quality assurance and troubleshooting. Must possess a high level of technical proficiency to assist operators in problem solving while exercising considerable judgment and have the ability to supervise the production process. Direct the routine maintenance and set up of machines, equipment, and facilities.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
30% Safe Working Environment
* Maintain safety or ergonomic programs to ensure a safe working environment.
* Perform daily walk around visual inspection of the department to observe for unsafe acts or conditions and take immediate action where necessary.
* Train employees to ensure safe operating procedures are followed, including lock-out and tag-out.
20% Product Quality, Safety and Knowledge
* Maintain desired product quality and safety.
* Maintain adequate knowledge of product and equipment to ensure ability to direct employees to perform the job properly.
* Monitor daily to ensure HACCP and USDA standards are being met.
* Take corrective action where necessary.
20% Employee Relations and Policies
* Maintain a high standard of employee relations.
* Periodically review with all employees the company policies and procedures.
* Conduct monthly line meetings to address questions and concerns.
* Walk the floor daily to address immediate questions and concerns.
15% Yields, Variances and Efficiencies
* Maintain or exceed goals on yields and efficiencies.
* Work weekly with Operations Managers and/or supervisors to become familiar with yields and variances, methods of calculations, typical problem areas, and methods of corrections and improvement.
* Communicate with employees daily to discuss work assignments.
15% Product Costs
* Strive for continuous improvement of product costs.
* Perform daily checks to ensure that standards are being met.
* Take necessary steps to ensure downtime is maintained at the lowest possible level.
* Trace and analyze key product result measures for improvement opportunities.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
* May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written
* Ability to problem solve and collaborate with others
* Math aptitude
* Technical aptitude to learn and use multiple computer systems
* Self-motivated with a desire to learn
* Ability to be flexible and react to changing variables
* Ability to coach, motivate and counsel employees to encourage optimum performance and engagement
* Ability to organize, motivate and train staff
* Ability to work in varying production environments (heat and cold)
* Must be able to work with a diverse workforce; bilingual is a plus
* Must be able to work long hours, possibly to work 6 to 7 days per week during peak times.
* Directly supervises production employees.
* Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
* Responsibilities include, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
* Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
* Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
* Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.