STAFF NURSE (2+ years experience required) - 30 hours per week 9/19/2017
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The staff nurse is a registered nurse who is responsible for assuring competent, compassionate, individualized care for adult primary care patients and their families in the ambulatory care setting. She/He will collaborate with practice leadership, members for the primary care team and the patient to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
* Provides competent, compassionate nurse care base on scientific principle and the use of nursing process.
* Provides and maintains a therapeutic environment for patients and families.
* Communicates the plan of care and other pertinent information to/from the patient to the primary care team members.
* Uses sound clinical decision making skills to effectively triage patients and give advice in a timely ways within practice policy
* Coordinates involvement of the patient and family with the other health care team members in patient care including teaching in both individual and in group visits.
* Triages walk-in patients and develops of plan of action and communicates to the primary care team the action plan.
* Observes, reports and documents relevant patient information.
* Helps define standards of excellence for patient care, participates in process improvement activities.
* Functions in a cost effective way to provide excellent patient care.
* Assist the primary care team with urgent visits when needed by performing and documenting initial intake assessment.
* Plays an active role in Chronic Disease Management through patient outreach, teaching and support
* Assists in medication management in patients on chronic opioids in accordance with practice/ MGH Policy
* Assist with Annual Wellness Visits and after reviewing questions makes nursing interventions to help improve patient care.
* Oversees VNA forms assuring they are done in a timely fashion and that medication lists are accurate and complete
* Participates in discharge follow up outreach to assure patient is accurately following post discharge instructions and has necessary follow up.
* Leads a team of support staff members (LPN,MA,etc).
* Collaborates with Primary Care team and serves as a role model and maintains recognized standards of care.
* Participates in orientation of new staff members.
* Teaches and directs supports staff to help provide continuity of patient care
* Appropriately utilizes hospital and nursing resources
* Interprets hospital and departmental policies and procedures to nurse and other health team members.
* Keeps Nurse Manger informed of clinical issues as they arise.
* Participates in emergency preparedness exercises as well as all hospital required trainings.
* Participates in daily activities conducive to the comfort and safety of patients their families and practice staff.
* Appropriately utilizes all equipment and supplies and maintains yearly POCT training.
* Provides input to the practice leadership regarding practice needs/ improvement possibilities.
* Professional Development
* Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills base on current nursing education requirements.
* Collaborates with practice leadership to indentify his/her developmental level of practice and areas of growth.
* Contributes to relevant committees, professional meetings, continuing educational or formal academic programs.
Current licensure in Massachusetts as a registered nurse is required.
At least two years of nursing experience required.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.