Staff Software Engineer 2 9/16/2017
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Virtual Heroes Division of Applied Research Associates is looking for a dedicated, hard-working software developer. The successful candidate will use modeling and simulation (M&S) techniques to develop state-of-the-art, 3D training applications in an agile team environment. You will work on several Research and Development (R&D) projects for military customers, developing tools, applications, and processes to support synthetic-environment simulations. You will serve multiple projects simultaneously, so agility, poise, focus, and communication skills are a must. You must be able to use knowledge of computer-science concepts to solve problems. The ideal candidate will have broad programming experience on several published/deployed projects and experience using 3D APIs.
* Candidates selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information
* BS (or higher) in Computer Science or similar discipline (Computer Engineering, Physics, Math, Electrical Engineering, etc.) with 5+ years' experience, or MS degree plus 3 years. Note: If degree isn't in Computer Science, experience using and knowledge of computer science concepts must be clearly demonstrated
* Equivalent professional experience (11+ years) will be considered for talented candidates without degree
* C++ knowledge/experience
* Strong object-oriented programming skills and demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices
* Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for using knowledge and skills to solve problems and produce high-quality work
* Ability to quickly understand existing code and enhance and build on an existing architecture
* Strong math skills and solid understanding of algorithm design and optimization
* Demonstrated ability to work both autonomously as well as with large and small teams of programmers
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preference to applicants with one or more of the following:
* Experience developing training simulations, 3D environments, or serious games
* Experience using modeling and simulation techniques
* Experience writing technical design documentation
* Familiarity with modern 3D rendering techniques (Shaders, Lighting Models, GLSL etc.)
* Experience with DirectX or OpenGL APIs
* Experience developing multiplayer game/training applications
* Experience on mobile platform development (iOS, Android)
* Unreal Engine and/or Unity programming skills
* Knowledge or familiarity with interoperability standards in simulations, e.g., OGC web services
* Experience with Amazon Web Services or other cloud technologies
At the Virtual Heroes Division of Applied Research Associates we create immersive, 3D interactive learning solutions and high-fidelity synthetic virtual environments. Our goal is to create realistic, detailed training and educational solutions to improve your safety, security, and way of life. Our Orlando location has been working with the Army community for nearly fifteen years, developing modeling and simulation for the defense industry. Visit our website at http://www.virtualheroes.com.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1200 professionals and is rapidly growing. Our culture supports our exceptional staff of valued employees and encourages professional growth through continued higher education, participation and publication at technical conferences, and membership in professional organizations. As an ARA employee you are encouraged to generate new ideas and bring those ideas to life. ARA offers competitive salaries and outstanding benefits including stock ownership, medical and dental coverage, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, a 401(k) profit-sharing plan, and annual bonuses. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our career site at http://careers.ara.com.
ARA is an EOE/M/F/Disabled/Veteran Employer. ARA is an At-Will Employer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information.",