Sterile Processing Techician I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/11/2017
END DATE 12/12/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
SUMMARY: The Sterile Processing Technician I is an entry level position. The Processing Tech is responsible for decontamination, assembly, inspecting, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments and medical equipment for Surgical Services and all Ancillary Departments. This includes working in conjunction with the OR staff to provide timely sterile products, trays and case carts where applicable. The Sterile Processing Technician I maintains consistency and continuous workflow between the OR and Central Service Sterile Processing while practicing excellent customer service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Decontamination:
1. Follows Universal Precautions by wearing the appropriate protective attire while working in the Decontamination area. 2. Decontaminates surgical instruments and other medical equipment as needed by keeping a continuous flow of equipment moving through the process. 3. Utilizes appropriate cleaning detergents and agents by reading directions and MSDS sheets.
1. Inspects all instruments for cleanliness, proper function, and breakage by viewing the instruments before assembly.
2. Assembles surgical trays and equipment following established tray listings.
3. Wraps or pouches items according to size and type of instrument or equipment.
1. Challenges the sterilization process by using internal, external and biological monitoring systems appropriately.
2. Monitors, reads, document, and interpret all parameters for all types of sterilizers to insure proper function. (Steam, Eto & Sterrad)
3. Sterilizes instruments and surgical trays by following prescribed policies and procedures upon request.
4. Process or produce sterile items in comparison to others.
Distribution/Case Carts if applicable
1. Distributes all sterile and non-sterile supplies and medical equipment upon request or case cart requisition.
2. Orders and puts away supplies & linens upon request, as needed.
3. Picks surgical case carts by following established Surgeons Preference Cards or Procedural Pick list / requisition.
Other essential department responsibilities:
1. Demonstrates the components of I CARE values statement.
2. Maintains appropriate records such as logs, sterilization records and count sheets.
3. Understands and utilizes computers for generating data and requisitioning goods.
4. Perform area cleaning by sanitizing workstation at the end of each shift.
5. Answers phone in professional, helpful manner by maintaining communication skills appropriate in a professional setting.
6. Maintains system and department competencies by attending department meetings, in-services, and annual updates.
7. Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: None required. 1 year of Central Service or Sterile Processing experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: N/A
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: CRCST (Certified Registered Central Supply Technician) Certification through IAHCSMM or Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) required. WORKING : Potential exposure to hazardous chemicals. Universal precautions are to be maintained in the Decontamination room.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report s Best Hospital list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of 100 Best Companies To Work For since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world. APPLY.