Supplier Quality Engineer 10/10/2017
Esterline Technologies Corporation
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description
Esterline Technologies Corporation
Supplier Quality Engineer, Esterline Defense Technologies
Esterline welcomes people who share our determination and high standards to join us in doing work that moves the world forward. Esterline Defense Technologies (EDT) is comprised of three wholly-owned subsidiaries of Esterline. The Defense Technologies platform has a sole source position in Combustible Ammunition Cases and Countermeasure Chaff. Additionally, Defense Technologies produces Countermeasure Flares, Decoys, and related products for the global defense industry. The platform is headquartered in Coachella, CA with additional locations in the states of Arkansas, and North Carolina.
Company Name: Esterline Defense Technologies is part of the Advanced Materials Business Segment of Esterline Technologies Corporation
Industry: Defense Products & Services
Number of Employees: 650
Title: Supplier Quality Engineer
Job Family: Engineers
Reports to: Platform Director of Supply Chain Coachella Operations
Works with: mid-level managers and supervisors, employees
Location: Coachella, California
Technical liaison between suppliers, purchasing, engineering, and quality functions to support projects that affect supplier selection, qualification, performance, productivity, and effectiveness. Oversees the use of standard tools and methodologies to solve problems, and implement CAPA and prevent re-occurrence. The top three performance objectives for this role are: (1) drive continuous improvement within the company's supply base, (2) ensure compliance and conformance, and (3) ensure that effective and efficient Quality Management Systems are established, documented, implemented, and maintained. Travel is required 40% 60% of the time to visit domestic and possibly international suppliers, special processes, and sub-tiers.
* Visit supplier facilities/locations when required in order to improve relationships, follow up on corrective action validation
* Provide input into the supplier performance information and selection of new suppliers for the company
* Ensure purchased components, sub-assemblies, and devices comply with all print specifications and applicable regulations
* Ensure supplier productivity meets purchase order expectations
* Supply information into the metrics, trends, and performance indicators of suppliers in order to drive continuous improvement throughout the supply chain and to support strategic business objectives
* Conduct oversight of supplier Corrective Action (CA) activities, to include ensuring a proper level of effort prior to CA closure
* When business interests warrant, conduct supplier development activities that bring a supplier to an acceptable level for inclusion on the approved supplier list
* Identify, submit, and facilitate technical changes that will make improvements in quality, cost, and delivery
* Develop and deliver public presentations as appropriate for all levels within the organization or at supplier location
* Utilize multiple problem solving tools, such as 8D, 5Why, Ishikawa Diagram, Process Mapping, DOE, etc. in collaboration with suppliers, sub-tiers, and internal customers
* Maintain the highest ethical standards, even when challenged from above
* Understand and live by Esterline s ethics and business conduct policies
* Perform other duties and tasks as directed by the direct Manager
* Good analytical ability
* Blueprint reading skills/schematic reading, including G.D.T.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Attention to detail and accuracy
* Speed and quality of work
* Computer skills (for example: Microsoft Suite, CAD system)
* Ability to work effectively in a fast, high energy environment
* Comfortable in making decisions in a rapid paced, forward evolving environment
* Unquestionable commitment to, and ability to facilitate actions in, continuous improvement efforts
* Ability to influence actions at supplier facilities in support of delivery and quality objectives through strong interpersonal skills
* Self- starter
* Ability to follow established methods and precedents
* Customer Focus: Knows and understands the needs of internal and external customers. Is results oriented and works hard to consistently provide exceptional service.
* Ethics and Values: Adheres to an effective set of core values and beliefs and acts in accordance. Rewards the right values and disapproves of others.
* Problem Solving: Looks beyond the obvious to find effective solutions.
* Integrity and Trust: Widely trusted and seen as direct and truthful.
* Functional/Technical Skills: Possesses the skills to be effective in the job. Has the skills to perform the job at a high level of accomplishment.
* Listening: Practices active and attentive listening, able to hear others.
* Action-Oriented: Full of energy, willing to take action.
* Composure: Cool under pressure, not knocked off balance by the unexpected, is a settling influence.
* Values Diversity: Supports fair and equal treatment for all.
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
* BS in Quality Engineering or equivalent engineering degree from an accredited university
* Minimum of eight years of progressive experience working in a Supplier Quality Engineering capacity within aerospace or automotive environments
* ASQ certifications (CQE, CSSBB, CQA, etc.) desired
* ISO or AS lead Auditor training preferred
* Experience using structured problem solving (DOE, Six Sigma, 8D)
* Experience utilizing Statistical Process Control
* Proven experience using DMAIC, DFSS, DFM, PFMEA, APQP to accomplish various tasks
* Sound knowledge of Lean and Six-Sigma tools: Kaizen (VSM, Standard Work, TPI, SMED), problem solving tools
* Sound knowledge in AS-9100, AS-9102, ISO-9001, NADCAP and the ability to audit to these standards
* Solid background in materials and related processes, basic metallurgy, heat-treating, chemical processing, injection molding, coatings, welding, brazing, machining, NDT, etc.)
* U.S. citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien Status required
Please apply on-line on the Esterline Career Website, www.esterline.com
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
U.S. Export Policy Notice:
To comply with U.S. export laws and regulations, Esterline operations in the U.S. may only employ "U.S. Persons" as defined by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Esterline is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status. t
U.S. Export Policy Notice: To ensure compliance with U.S. export laws and regulations, Esterline operations in the U.S. may only employ U.S Persons as defined by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).